TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking and putting a 4-5 inch lift on my 89 4Runner and running 33's. So yesterday I went up to Tarheel 4x4 and they told me that it would be 1,700 to have my truck geared. Are they trying to f*ck me or does it really cost that much? If so ill find out how to do it my damn self or have a friend help me. Im looking at running 4.88's since I have 4.10's on 29 inch tires. Any input would be helpful thanks...

Andy
Cornelius, NC

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
seems pretty step to me. Ask them how much if you buy the gears and install kit and bring them the thirds and all they have to do is the set up. Cause basically they are figuring the gears and kit and hours for installation which can add up pretty quick. but if you do the hard part getting the thirds out of the truck then they should be pretty fair on the install price. And shop around a little.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Go to the North Carolina chapter site, ask for help and info also?

·
Premium Member
8,407 Posts
Thats steep for gears, install kits, and labor. Throw an ARB in there and it would be fair.

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
Thats steep for gears, install kits, and labor. Throw an ARB in there and it would be fair.
X2.

I had a limited slip put in my old truck and that's how much it cost to do that and overhaul the rear end...

Steep.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
unfortunately, this is expensive stuff.

take a look at how much they are charging per hour. If you take the truck to the shop, not that they obviously will charge you more, but they will add a couple of extra hours of labor for trouble shooting. Some shops do that with this kind of work.

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
Even if you want, take out the 3rd member and take it to a shop. It's only about a hour to take it out.

Just remove the wheels, unbolt the rear portion of the driveshaft, remove the 4 backing nuts, rotate the backing plate for the brakes as you pull it out (you make the line straight instead of bent) and then remove all the bolts and pull out the 3rd member.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Its about 500 for gears and a place in co does them for 100 per diff on the bench(you bring in the diff) 700 bucks and that saves you 1k for an arb or your lift. Find someone to do them for you...

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
First, you can fit 33's with NO lift - that'll save you a bunch of money. (Requires 33x10.50 on the stock rims)

Next, that price is about right if you're dropping the truck off. If you pull the front diff and the rear third, labor should be about $200/axle.

I didn't get a real good vibe from Tarheel 4x4 when I lived in CLT, but that was a while ago. I would recommend you talk to Carolina Rock Shop on South Blvd...(x2 for posting on the NC board and seeing who people have had good experiences from)

·
Registered
194 Posts
1700 was what mine cost. I drove it in, they gave it back regeared with a locker. Yes, you will save a lot if you pull the front diff & 3rd and bring them the gears and install kits. I just didnt have the time.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
bring that quote to other 4wheel places and get it beat down a few hundred dollars

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
Im looking and putting a 4-5 inch lift on my 89 4Runner and running 33's. So yesterday I went up to Tarheel 4x4 and they told me that it would be 1,700 to have my truck geared. Are they trying to f*ck me or does it really cost that much? If so ill find out how to do it my damn self or have a friend help me. Im looking at running 4.88's since I have 4.10's on 29 inch tires. Any input would be helpful thanks...

Andy
Cornelius, NC
that's at the upper end of the average but not out of line depending on area. Around here it can cost you anywhere from $900 to $2k for parts and labor.

$1700 for gears, install and an ARB is a pipe-ream, sorry. The locker alone is $750-800 and the gears/install kits will be over $600. The cheapest anyone has seen from a shop for gear install (you take them the diff, out of the truck) is $150/diff.

If you can pull the 3rds and take them in you'll save about half the labor bill.
parts should not be any higher than $700 and may be even cheaper. Check with PORC for pricing.

If you don't have very many gear shops in your area you may be screwed...lack of compitition jacks up the price. We do have a ttora member, however, who has offered to set up diffs for other members for cheap. All you have to do is send him the diff and the parts. ;)

·
186 Posts
Gearing

Give us a call. I can guarantee you we are WAY cheaper than that price and will be more than happy to do a bench build(you pull the diff's and bring them in) or bring us the whole truck. We can usually do frt and rear in one day barring no suprise problem's!

toll free number 1-866-540-7672

www.performanceoffroadcenter.com

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
Give us a call. I can guarantee you we are WAY cheaper than that price and will be more than happy to do a bench build(you pull the diff's and bring them in) or bring us the whole truck. We can usually do frt and rear in one day barring no suprise problem's!

toll free number 1-866-540-7672

www.performanceoffroadcenter.com
you have gears, install kits and carriers for the '05+ FRONT diff now? Who is finally making gears for this diff?

·
Registered
1,348 Posts

Andy
Cornelius, NC
We know a guy who is really good in Clayton. Come to the NC board if you need more info. I've had him do my gears w/o pulling the 3rd before hand for $400. You need to provide gears, master install kit and check for fees. 2 nights or 1 sat as he does it p/t.

·
Premium Member
8,407 Posts
that's at the upper end of the average but not out of line depending on area. Around here it can cost you anywhere from $900 to $2k for parts and labor.

$1700 for gears, install and an ARB is a pipe-ream, sorry. The locker alone is $750-800 and the gears/install kits will be over $600. The cheapest anyone has seen from a shop for gear install (you take them the diff, out of the truck) is $150/diff.

If you can pull the 3rds and take them in you'll save about half the labor bill.
parts should not be any higher than $700 and may be even cheaper. Check with PORC for pricing.

If you don't have very many gear shops in your area you may be screwed...lack of compitition jacks up the price. We do have a ttora member, however, who has offered to set up diffs for other members for cheap. All you have to do is send him the diff and the parts. ;)
New Precision Gear rear - $200
Precision fronts (new, purchased as used, guy never installed them) $70
frt master install kit - $90
rear master kit - $120
ARB -$640
compressor - $120
labor to install fr gears $200
labor to install rear and locker - $265
labor to install ARB wiring harness, switches, and fab a mount - $120

$1825 and thats pulling the diffs myself, shop reinstalled them.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
No luck yet on 05 Taco gears. We have no plan's on getting them anytime soon.(not enough demand yet)
then how were you going to beat that earlier price by that much? :rolleyes:
the only available gears for the '05+ at decent prices are for the rear.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts