TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, ive been toying with the idea of going to a 1 peice rear d-shaft. mainly for simplicity's sake, get rid of the carrier bearing and the double cardon joint.

this would be going in without putting in a crawler. has anyone done it without a crawler? got any pics of how much ground clearance you lost?

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
It's pretty nice to have the DS up outta the rocks as much as possible. I think the one pieces are more prone to damage.

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
see thats just the thing, im not in the rocks very often at all. mainly out in the desert. i can see losing clearance when at full droop, but that only happens when im in the air or close to it. im mainly concerned with how much clearance is lost at say, ride height

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
that would be one long SOB. i guess you could take a string and pull it from the flange on the pinion and pull it to the case and see what kind of angle you would have. i thought about it since i moved my rear axle forward 5" but i decided to keep the 2 peice DS. but im in the rocks 100% of the time so my situation is different than yours. :D

·
Registered
951 Posts
my buddy has a Tom Woods in now. he has since bought a marlin crawler and plans on shortening the shaft when he installs the crawler. Look at it this way, the majority of pickups have a one piece. His is long, but it really only sits around 3" lower than the carrier bearing, and he does both rocks and mud. It all boils down to personal preference and driving style.

Boheefus

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Boheefus said:
my buddy has a Tom Woods in now. he has since bought a marlin crawler and plans on shortening the shaft when he installs the crawler. Look at it this way, the majority of pickups have a one piece. His is long, but it really only sits around 3" lower than the carrier bearing, and he does both rocks and mud. It all boils down to personal preference and driving style.

Boheefus
thank you! finally some real world experience/numbers.
3" lower than the carrier bearing really isnt all that much.

my driving style could be described as "foot in the fuel injection" lol :xrocker:

·
Registered
469 Posts
I can't remember where it was, but I just read a really good write up on this. Might try search for carrier bearing vibration? That's what I was searching for when I found it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I swapped a one-piece into my '94 Toyota Xcab , it was actually a great mod.

If you're not in the big rocks, you have nothing to worry about. And these shafts are not made of papier-mache, so they will take some abuse.

I didn't wheel in big rocks either, but medium-to-small at Paragon and here in Ohio. The one-piece I had made supported the weight of the truck at times while on a rock or dirt berm and all it had to show was scratched paint.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I've got one, but I've got a crawler, and mine's pretty long. A guy at a driveshaft shop noticed it and said that i should really have gone with a larger diameter tubing (so don't have a DS made at Fresno DS...)

Since your rig is pretty low anyway i doubt that you'd loose much clearence at ride height if any...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Like Boheefus said mine is a one piece from Tom Woods. It works fine. Cost about $280 bucks + shipping. Been running it over a year now no problems. When I was running the 2 piece driveshaft I busted the rear yoke(due to poor driving skills) and my carrier bearing took a crap. Decided to go with a one piece because it's cheaper to maintain. The one piece is real beefy and I've come down hard on it a few times no problems.

·
Registered
951 Posts
tony56 said:
Like Boheefus said mine is a one piece from Tom Woods. It works fine. Cost about $280 bucks + shipping. Been running it over a year now no problems. When I was running the 2 piece driveshaft I busted the rear yoke(due to poor driving skills) and my carrier bearing took a crap. Decided to go with a one piece because it's cheaper to maintain. The one piece is real beefy and I've come down hard on it a few times no problems.
Shouldn't you be working tickets?!?!?!?!?!?!

Boheefus

·
Registered
502 Posts
I went to a one piece after my dual case install. I took the cv joint off the back half of the ds, drilled new holes in the flange at the t-case so it would mount up and lengthened the thing. I like it a lot but with my 6-7 inch lift I definitely lost some ground clearance. I am obviously not having anymore carrier bearing problems though.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Crawl out of bed and make my kids breakfast !!!! Why ain't you out wheeling ???? Is it too cold or are you just gay ?????

·
Registered
951 Posts
tony56 said:
Crawl out of bed and make my kids breakfast !!!! Why ain't you out wheeling ???? Is it too cold or are you just gay ?????
qwerty asdfg zxcvb poiuy ;lkjh .,mn

Boheefus

1 - 15 of 15 Posts