TTORA Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i found a 100 amp mig welder,looks like a hf cheapo, for 50$.would this welder work for light tabs and other misc.i know it wont work for bumpers, but would it work for spare tire carrier and other stuff?

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
If you are using flux core on it, yes, it will do bumpers and tire carriers. You can weld up to 3/16" with single pass on a 100 amp machine, and with practice, you can do a lot of welds that others will tell you you can't do. If it is a mig with gas, use .023 wire, and 75/25 gas, and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea its flux.thats cool, i figured 50 bucks,it will be something to play with and practise some fabbing,till i can buy a better welder.so you're saying it will weld 1.5 .120 mild tubing? because i want to build a spare tire carrier that will hold my hi-lift,ammo boxes & two spares.that i can remove when i want to use my bed.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Yes, that would be perfect for welding non-load bearing items (like light tabs). I wouldn't trust it to weld sliders or a bumper though. I can never get my Craftsman 80 amp flux-core welder to get good enough penetration.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
yea its flux.thats cool, i figured 50 bucks,it will be something to play with and practise some fabbing,till i can buy a better welder.so you're saying it will weld 1.5 .120 mild tubing? because i want to build a spare tire carrier that will hold my hi-lift,ammo boxes & two spares.that i can remove when i want to use my bed.
Yes, you will be able to do it. Heat at max. , speed around 3-4, and practice. Use slow whip motion, like making a "C" as you go. With less amps available, try to move forward a bit, back and up to make the "C", then sweep forward some more. You will see the blue on the steel, and better flow on the sides of your welds once you get the heat flowing in. If it is bubbled high in a lump, just slow down, and if the wire seems to push the gun up away from the weld, slow down the speed of the wire a little bit.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
so its better to push the puddle, versus pulling it?
If you can get it hot enough, yes. But the smaller machines like a drag or pull method better. The main thing is you have to weld a little slower to allow the heat to build in the puddle, and for real penetration. When you try it out a bit, you'll see what works best for your welder.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
another thing is, what does duty cycle meen?i know its newbie,but i can't remember what it is.

·
Registered
741 Posts
where did you find this one, ive been looking for a cheap mig welder, but there all over 400

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
another thing is, what does duty cycle meen?i know its newbie,but i can't remember what it is.
Duty cycle is how much work the machine can do in an hour. Say, 100% duty cycle at 50% for your machine= one full hour at 50 amps. So, 25% duty cycle at 100 amps= 15 minutes of wide open welding in an hour. You'll never hit the duty cycle working on a bumper, so no worries!!!;)

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
where did you find this one, ive been looking for a cheap mig welder, but there all over 400
Keep an eye on Dezertrangers.com there is always a welder going up on the tools section. Have cash, haggle. You have to be quick sometimes.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
thanks for reinforcing what i have learned from my freebie 80w camp. haus.

my advice- take your time and dont be afraid to turn the amps high, the wire speed slow and burn away!

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Yeah, take your time, practice on scrap until you feel confident in your abilities. 100 amps is plenty for what you want to build. I'm guessing at $50 that welder probably has a low duty cycle rating, so give it a cooling break from time to time and and let it run for a few minutes after you are done welding. This will allow the fan to keep running and cooling the unit. You shouldn't have any problems.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i found out its a 90 amp,is this still good enough for light tabs and spare tire spinners and such?

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
i found out its a 90 amp,is this still good enough for light tabs and spare tire spinners and such?
No problemo for light tabs and .125 wall tubing. It might be a stretch for tire spinners though. Unless you are fabbing them out of tubing, not solid round stock.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts