TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a 2006 land cruiser and was wondering what the 4 wheel drive system is. AWD or part time? Some of the research I have done says a rear locker was optional...Any information would be helpful.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
I am looking at a 2006 land cruiser and was wondering what the 4 wheel drive system is. AWD or part time? Some of the research I have done says a rear locker was optional...Any information would be helpful.
Center Locking Differential full time 4WD just like all land cruisers.

·
Registered
967 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Like what was said...2000 or 2001 (can't remember which) was the last year of the rear locker option and all 80 and 100 series Land Cruisers are AWD.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Like what was said...2000 or 2001 (can't remember which) was the last year of the rear locker option and all 80 and 100 series Land Cruisers are AWD.

Good catch... on the locker. 200 series have that optional crawl mode that works kind of like a E-Crawlbox. It's not a true crawl box but works kind of like how A-TRAC and the E-LSD work on the Tacomas. It brakes the wheels to provide the traction. It is said that you can walk away fromt he 200 series while crawl mode is engaged and allow it to walk an obstacle.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Good catch... on the locker. 200 series have that optional crawl mode that works kind of like a E-Crawlbox. It's not a true crawl box but works kind of like how A-TRAC and the E-LSD work on the Tacomas. It brakes the wheels to provide the traction. It is said that you can walk away fromt he 200 series while crawl mode is engaged and allow it to walk an obstacle.
I've seen that demo'd (on TV) it's pretty slick...however I think about .05% (if that) of the public will actually use it, especially right now when they run $70k from the dealer. Maybe in a few years when resales hit they might.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just to clear things up, the way I learned it AWD is not the same as Fulltime 4WD.

80 and 100 Series US models are all 4WD Fulltime.
Your are correct. From what I understand AWD (as in the case of CR-Vs, Rav4's, ect) is a two wheel drive untill the computer senses some wheel slippage, then it send power to the other axle.

Full time 4WD is just that. But the tranfercase has clutch packs in it to allow some slippage to prevent gearbind. A center diff lock swith eliminates the 'slippage' thus giving you the same power to both front and rear drivshafts.

Part Time 4WD requires you shift into it, but is always the same power to both front and rear driveshafts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts