TTORA Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friends parts shop recently closed down and i was given a few cases of penzoil 10w40 engine oil. I know the manual specifies 5w30 or 5w40 oil for my 3.4L engine, but i got enough 10 40 oil to last for a few years. I dont see why i would have anyproblems using it, but just wanted to check with everyone first.

·
Stinks like fish
986 Posts
Free oil is nice and there is nothing wrong with penzzoil, it is a very well additized dino oil. You are going to have to make a judgement call. I would base this on warranty left if any, and the importance of fuel economy. This is a light 40wt so if you fut it with a couple of bottle of 5w20 perfill it would be in the proper range.

If it is out of warranty run it. It will not cause any problems other than slightly reduced fuel economy until tit begins to shear down aftr a thousand of miles or so it will be a 30 weight ;) so this is not a good candidate for extended drains( the Viscosity improvers will shear and the oil will begin tochange operating viscosity towards that of it's base oil).
If you are under warranty use it in your yard machines, even though it won't be casue of a oil related failure you are setting up an obstacle if anything should happen to your motor under warranty.

Personally I would not feel real good with that particular grade of oil. Any other grade of penzzoil I would take and use for free but the 10w40 is a tough spread for a conventional oil to cover. I would be concerned about the viscosity improvers contributing to deposits on the engines internals. :(

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
On the same token, would you run 0w30 in an engine covered by warranty? Toyota seems to like to recommend a 5w30 all the way from Mexico to the North Pole.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im not worried about any waranties, i have 130k miles on my truck. Well you lost me with the whole friction modifier stuff, but i change the oil every 3000 miles, so i dont think the oil would break down enought to cause any problems.

·
Stinks like fish
986 Posts
I wuldn't be concerned about a 0w30 and would run one in a heart beat even in south Texas. Operating viscosity is what is important and honestly many ow30's have a higher operating viscosity than there contemporary 5 and 10w's

Chump,
Since you do 3k mile OCI's and have 130k it is a good oil for you.

I misspoke with friction modifier. I intended to say visscosity improvers. This causes the oil to not thin out as much at operating temperature increasing the operating viscosity. As the oil is used and stressed these improvers are broken and sheared down reducing thh operating viscosity. Meaning that the oil may be a 30wt anyway byt the end of a 3k mile run.

·
I LIVE FOR THIS
1,700 Posts
chump16 said:
My friends parts shop recently closed down and i was given a few cases of penzoil 10w40 engine oil. I know the manual specifies 5w30 or 5w40 oil for my 3.4L engine, but i got enough 10 40 oil to last for a few years. I dont see why i would have anyproblems using it, but just wanted to check with everyone first.
If your burning 1 qrt every oil change than use the 10W40 if not stick to what you are using and sell the two cases.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts