TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Interesting....definitely something to keep in mind on the trail...

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
i did that once, welded a nickle to a chair, that was fun

another fun thing thing with a battery: wire a metal door knob with wires from a distributor, have the distributor wired to the battery, once someone touches the door handle to open it, spin the distributor, hell of a shock, you can also do the same with a chair (eletric chair), no neither feel good

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Those methods work good, I've though about keeping enough supplies to weld like this on the trail. They didn't say what rods they used though. I seem to rember 70-16 is what was recommended for 36v gehetto welding.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
really anything is better than nothing.... at least to get you off the trail and home so you can do it right. I know quite a few people that have welded lots of things in this manner on the trail and they have had the stuff hold up for years with lots of abuse

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
I've been with peeps several times where we had to use emergency wleding to get them off the trail. The Norcal crew is excellent at welding on trail!

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
They have actual portable welders though...
For a price.

I've used two batteries and a couple sets of jumper cables before on a friend of mine's . Worked good enough to get him off of Moab Rim.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've seen the portable kind, google Ready welder, just clamps onto the batteries. There all way more expensive than a comparable 110v kind. It would be cool to experiment with this, especially if you could get ahold of one of the older style dc welders that controlled the amperage with (I think, lowers a metal rod into coils) a solenoid? Pull that and use it to control your battery amps.

It would be cool to know how to do if you ever really needed it. Although cargo straps can still work wonders. (broken spindle)

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think something like the ready welder would be the way to go. There not cheap though. I think like $600. I don't think I would try to mess with using something like the lincoln passport (awesome machine) on on an inverter. You would need two any way and the current draw would be huge.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
the only reason i would actually buy the real welder over the 12volt one, is that ive heard of the battery blowing up sometimes while welding

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
yep, and the acid inside dont feel good either, but if your on the trail and nothing els to use, have fun with it :welder: :flamethro :scared: :explode: :missingto :banghead: :suicide:

·
Registered
428 Posts
I think something like the ready welder would be the way to go. There not cheap though. I think like $600. I don't think I would try to mess with using something like the lincoln passport (awesome machine) on on an inverter. You would need two any way and the current draw would be huge.
I wouldn't do an inverter and I would run the onboard welder of a second battery

1 - 15 of 15 Posts