TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yall,
got a ?? for ya. I bought my truck from a guy who had it since new. Bought the thing in Montana and drove it down here (GA.) Anyways, he had the water pump and timing belt changed at 65K (for reasons unknown.) Anyways, when do you think I should change it again? I"m at just under 120K now, and the engine has givin me some issues with CEL light regarding (right bank too lean) so I'm thinkin' it may be time to spend some moeny and replace a bunch o crap...ideas? Thanks,

CW

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,525 Posts
That code is P0171 if I remember right. That usually points to a dirty MAF sensor.

Timing belt has a recommended interval of 90k miles. Used to be 60k, but they upped it to 90k. That would probably explain why they had the service done at 65k.

The rest of the recommended service is available here:
http://smg.toyotapartsandservice.com/guides.php

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea,
I cleaned my MAF and changed plugs, light went off, came back on. Reset ECU, drove to Atlanta, didn't come back...anyways, so I assume I should change the belt/pump again at 180 then? No leaks, not sure about my timing being off. Idle's rough when I'm stopped sometimes, other times, not so much....not as easy to work on as a Chevy 350...too bad.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Damn,
so I cleaned the MAF again, cleaned the throttle body, seafoam through the tank and threw brake booster line, new air cleaner and injector cleaner. Filled the tank. Drove to ATL, CEL still off. Come home from work, right back on the highway at about 35 miles...boom...damn light comes back on. So, should I pull my O2 and clean it, or should I pull bank 1 plugs first and check for fouling? Oh, and the code was P0171.

Thanks,
CW

·
Registered
34 Posts
It usually takes 2-3 drive cycles for a CEL to illuminate, in order to make sure there's an actual problem and not a computer/sensor snafu. Make sure the MAF is installed correctly and that there are no leaks or cracks in the hoses leading to and from the intake. Make sure you have a good connection at the sensor. Or, the MAF itself could be dying. Try finding someone with the same truck and a known-good MAF and swap it out for a test drive and see if that helps.

·
Registered
796 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mmmm....math.....

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok,
so after I did all the cleaning, reset the CEL, it came back on the next day. however, on my way home from work, light goes off. Stays off for about 100 miles, comes back on. Gonna yank some plugs this weekend and check for fowling..might need to replace my O2....what's that website to order from? URD? Thanks,

CW

·
Registered
34 Posts
Have you tried swapping in a known good MAF yet?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts