TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about 1300 dollars to spend on my 96 tacoma srf extended cab v6, i want to fit 33" tires on it and i already have ION rims. What would be the best way to spend the money on it to make it a little more trail worthy? I have good welding skills and a tube bender so i will be fabricating my own bumpers, stinger on the front and tube rear that protects the rockers, and sliders that protect the cab corners. I also plan on cutting the bed to high clearance and maby bobbing it. I will also make a bed bar and a tube tailgate with a spare tire holder, and tail light gaurds built in. I want to do chevy 63" springs in the rear. Any other suggestions or even part numbers would be great, keep in mind i plan on a SAS in about a year and a half when im done with school at UTI. Thanks

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Well it seems that you have a lot of skills to go on for now. I would save it all and build armor until you are ready to SAS and then it will end up being cheaper for you.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
SAWS..Deaver..Donahos...whichever..or make your own armour like mentioned..and then SAS it..i wish i had your money..wanna give me some?haha

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes but i need to clear 33" tires my 31" bfg at's didnt do it for my when i took it out and got buried yesterday. I was thinking radial TSL, or X-terrain. I have the springs for the rear already also.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Yes but i need to clear 33" tires my 31" bfg at's didnt do it for my when i took it out and got buried yesterday. I was thinking radial TSL, or X-terrain. I have the springs for the rear already also.
so in your post you answer most of your questions..
SAWS give you Clearance for 33's most everyone runs them..as will i or the OME 882's really soon...both give you clearance..the SAWs r better tho..if you got the rear then your set..or just biu the SAS now and dont wheel till you got everything

Go MTR's or BFG i would at lease but im biased haha

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My last BFG MT's were good but iv'e heard some good things about the x terrains and super swamper is just a great off road tire. I will be in AZ. in august so i will be running mostly rocks and sand/dirt. Do you think spacers in the front will get me by? Im not afraid to cut the body... its a trail truck!!!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
My last BFG MT's were good but iv'e heard some good things about the x terrains and super swamper is just a great off road tire. I will be in AZ. in august so i will be running mostly rocks and sand/dirt. Do you think spacers in the front will get me by? Im not afraid to cut the body... its a trail truck!!!
im not exactly hte best person to give you advice im still learning...but as to the spacers..idk..maybe.but i think with spacers the problem is that they limit your suspension travel after you put em on..i might be wrong....if you got 1300 why not do it right?

granted swampers are good.but.i have heard they a a PITA to balance dont stay balance and are very loud..idk..tho..to each there own

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yi might just go solid, its just a better plan i caould get the waggy axle for free i have new locking hubs rotora and pads for a d44 so why not? many i'll coil it with ranger or XJ coils in the front.

·
Banned
1,254 Posts
I have about 1300 dollars to spend on my 96 tacoma srf extended cab v6, i want to fit 33" tires on it and i already have ION rims. What would be the best way to spend the money on it to make it a little more trail worthy? I have good welding skills and a tube bender so i will be fabricating my own bumpers, stinger on the front and tube rear that protects the rockers, and sliders that protect the cab corners. I also plan on cutting the bed to high clearance and maby bobbing it. I will also make a bed bar and a tube tailgate with a spare tire holder, and tail light gaurds built in. I want to do chevy 63" springs in the rear. Any other suggestions or even part numbers would be great, keep in mind i plan on a SAS in about a year and a half when im done with school at UTI. Thanks

save it for when you really know what you what to do with it. Get the right parts the first time...

·
Registered
169 Posts
OME and ARB.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Padesertboy has it pegged. Use it until you know how you want it. The planning is critical to not waisting funds.
Example: you want 33"? You'll need to change your gears to regain power.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I plan on running the stock gears for now but i think the plan is to put spacers and chevy 63's and it with some 33" x-terrains, tube tumpers and what not, then when im done with school in a year and a half i think she'll get som SAW's on both front and rear with D60's bobbed and pin-tailed and probally an exo. The spacers should cut it for now i dont wheel that hard... not yet (theres no where to wheel in Mn leagally so we only get to hit some ATV trails and snowmobile trails in the summer get muddy) But when i go to Az. in august i'll get on some rocks, im pretty excited for that.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Go wheel it then come back...I think that you will find that these trucks are very capible in stock form and you might want to get protection to protect your investment. Or you can get SAW in front and Alcans, deavers, ect in the rear for close to 1300. My :2cents: !

·
Registered
16 Posts
After you go to Az and play on the rocks you will want to sas it asap. True they are great in stock form, but sas is the way to go. Do it right the first time. Build armor and save for a sas...speeking from experience.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts