TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Skip to the second paragraph for the question. I'm new to the forum so I just threw out a little more info. First off, I did use search, and I have read a lot on here about tires and wheels. I have followed the expeditions west Tacoma for a few years now, and I do like the way it looks with the 255-85-16 tires. I'm willing to give up a little mpg for a good tire/wheel combo, but I don't want to just totally kill the mpg either. 2 years ago with my current set up I drove 952 miles one way, and I averaged around 18.5 from Bakersfield Ca to Lincoln City Or. Not too bad with 2 adults and 2 kids, and a bed full of luggage and ice chests. On the way back I pulled a tandem axle 5'x12' enclosed Uhaul trailer with a pretty good sized load in it, and got 18.5 with a tail wind from Redding Ca. to Stockton Ca. It was no where near that hitting the steep grades in Or!

With that said, It's time for new tires, and I'm wanting new wheels this go round. Looking to get the black wheels from wheelers, but not sure if I should go with 15 or stay with the 16. My 265's on the stock wheels look ok(but they look to sucked up on the stock wheels), but I want a little larger tire. If I go with the 16's I would like to run a 255-85-16 which you know is a pretty tall tire, and mpg is going to go down a little. So I'm also thinking of a compromise by going with a 15" wheel, and a 33-10.5-15 bfg a/t. The 33 will be a little taller than my current set up, but shorter than the 255-86-16. Any of you guys switch to the 15" wheel and run a 33-10.50? If so, do you like the set up for both street and dirt? MPG?

·
Registered
388 Posts
This Thread may be of help to you: http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166892

I went from stock 16" wheels to 15x8 Mickey Thompson Classics with 3.75" BS. I'm running 31's now and don't have a lift as of yet so I couldn't answer your questions about running 33's but, some of the other members on here are running 33's and have a 1st gen Tacoma. I think it's page 3 in the thread referenced above that touches on that subject.

I hope this helps a bit.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I would recommend you stick with a 16" wheel. The 16"s are needed for the Tundra front brake upgrade. The Tundra front brake upgrade is a great idea if your going to run big tires. Bigger tires will make you upgrade your brakes eventually.
I have 15x8 Procomp wheels with 3.75" backspace (got them used for $300 on craigslist). I could run 33x12.50 on the wheels but I have 32x11.50 offroad tires on there now with no rubbing. I have another set of wheels and smaller tires for street driving to save on MPG. I don't have the Tundra brake upgrade but I wish I did. It would of worked better and cost the same as the aftermarket Tacoma brake parts I have.
"Black wheels" I assume your looking at steels wheels. Steel wheels are typically heavier then factory wheels so keep that in mind for your MPG.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
16 X 8 @ 4" BS'ing (type "B")

Will fit 265's as well as accommodate 285's

or even 295's like I roll.

whether or not you ever go with the tundra brake upgrade...
it's always nice to know that you could ;)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
16 X 8 @ 4" BS'ing (type "B")

Will fit 265's as well as accommodate 285's

or even 295's like I roll.

whether or not you ever go with the tundra brake upgrade...
it's always nice to know that you could ;)
I saw the pics of your truck with the 285's, and it looked nice. I'm still up in the air right now on the whole 15 or 16 inch wheesl. I like that I can buy the 33x10.5x15 BFG AT for $162 each compared to $212 each for the same tire in a 285-75-16.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
I saw the pics of your truck with the 285's, and it looked nice. I'm still up in the air right now on the whole 15 or 16 inch wheesl. I like that I can buy the 33x10.5x15 BFG AT for $162 each compared to $212 each for the same tire in a 285-75-16.
^ yes... muh 285's were "E" load range
They are nominally 33.1/11.50/16
( ^ about 32.5" when installed )

Muh current 295's are "D" load range.
they ride about the same as the prior 285 "E" load tires
The 295's are nominally 33.6/11.60/16 so...
have taller and thicker sidewalls then the 285's.
( ^ about 33.3 when installed )

Some mfgr's sell 285's in a lighter load range, if you care.

metric tires will be more expensive.
popularity dictates that.

33/10.50/15 are nominally 32.7" tall
^ (slightly less or more depending on mfg'r)
( ^ dunno... but expect them to be less then what the mfg'r claims when installed )

if budget is on your mind... stick with the 15"
They will be easier to make fit and cost less.

Just make sure you get the correct wheel offset
so the wheel's center chunk clears the brake caliper.

* offset is not dependent of back spacing, nor the same measurement.
offset is the cone form of the wheels center chunk.
Back spacing is the distance the wheel sits off the hub.

More to read... if you haven't already

Hint: trial fit a wheel first before installing the tires on them.
That way they could be returned/exchanged as unused (new).

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the info TacoDell. My budget aside, I like my truck to perform as good as it can off road, but still be able to enjoy a nice long hwy ride too. I really starting to lean towards the Wheelers 16" type B and some 285-75's. I think that will give me the best of both worlds(good height, and not too wide). I'm guessing the "Type B" with the 285-75 should put the tire about a 1/2 inch outside the fender flare.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Here's some pics showing the fender flares with 285/75/16 on 16 X 8 @ 4" BS
just trying to offer you a visual.

btw... muh flares are made by ATS
but are about the same coverage as oem.

BFG KM tires...

BFG KMII tires...

Hankook RT03...

this pic is the 295/75/16, same wheel specs, but alloy/aired down to 15 psi.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
That looks real good! I also like the look of the old BFG MT. I ran a set of 32x11.5x15 BFG MT's on my 94 Ranger 4x4 years ago. Not a bad handling tire for a DD, but those things got louder and louder as the miles stacked up. How did you like the BFG KM2's? Were they loud on the hwy? How many miles did you get out of them?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts