TTORA Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, my name is David Coyle, and I recently purchased my first truck, a 1996 tacoma. I turn 16 in just a few weeks, and couldn't be more excited to drive around town! It is 2.7L 4-cyl, 5speed manual (4wd). I am probably going to have lots of questions, but I figure this is easier than going to a shop (and more fun)! We bought it used, so I'm not totally sure what all has been done to it. It is currently sitting on 265/70/r16s (aftermarket wheels and tires), with what seems to be about a 2.5-3in suspension lift. Not sure if I'm supposed to ask some questions here, but may as well. Obviously as a teenage boy, bigger tires are much more fun, but I know upgrading tire size can come with decreased power and the need to regear, which is definitely not in my budget, even if I amp up on the amount of lawns I mow. The truck doesn't feel sluggish now with the 265s, but that may just be me being naive, considering it is one of the few cars I have ever driven. Would putting 33s on the truck and a lift to allow them be possible? Or would regearing be a must? Although it is technically my "daily driver", it wouldn't be driven under much stress on the highway or anything as I am only a sophomore in High School. Will include some pics when I get home, and thanks all for being welcoming! Excited to become a part of the group!:):):)

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,691 Posts
Welcome aboard! :)

I've got basically the same truck. I'm running 33" tires and upgraded to 4.88 gears. You'll likely want to do the same if you still have factory gears since the 2.7L doesn't have the HP to spin the tires when the gearing is way off.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,691 Posts
You'll be into it for $1500 for gearing and another $1200 or so for tires plus whatever you plan to spend on the lift which probably would be $700 at the cheapest. That's quite a bit of money to make the jump to 33"s just for fun. Do what you feel is best. Good thing other than tires is that you'll only really need to spend once.

·
Registered
2001 DDSB Tacoma, 2002 4Runner with bumpers and lift, 2008 Rav4
28 Posts
I’d guess it looks pretty good on those tires and wheels as is. My advice is to save that money to fine tune the rest of the truck and buy a few accessories to make it stand out! But then I’m a cheap old man so take it for what it is. My 2001 black double cab on 265/75-16s and 2.5 lift gets lots of positive comments. It is a 3.4 auto so it goes fine. None of these trucks are going to the drag races and win.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah that's what I'll do, thanks. Was thinking about some fender flares, but some of them seem crazy expensive... Any suggestions on where to get some? I don't wanna buy some cheap ones but I also don't need anything crazy heavy-duty because they are primarily just for cosmetics...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts