TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up another D44 in exchange of the D44 I picked up in Oakland that was Vacumm Assist. This is for sure is non Vaccumm assist. It came off a 1980 Waggy with a Driver Side Drop. One thing I forgot to look for was the wheel lug nut pattern. Should that matter? Does that match the Stock Toyota pattern? Educate me someone please. This one has no exchange.
:confused:

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
TACORICAN said:
I just picked up another D44 in exchange of the D44 I picked up in Oakland that was Vacumm Assist. This is for sure is non Vaccumm assist. It came off a 1980 Waggy with a Driver Side Drop. One thing I forgot to look for was the wheel lug nut pattern. Should that matter? Does that match the Stock Toyota pattern? Educate me someone please. This one has no exchange.
:confused:
Is it 6 lug?

Later,
....Mike

·
Registered
0 Posts
TACORICAN said:
Let me go to the truck and check. The freaking Thing is super Heavy so its gonna sit in the truck for a while until I find a place to store it.

As I recall, mine sat in the back of my truck for at least two weeks before I got tired of it sliding back and forth across my bedliner....

Then Mike and I were too limp to lug it out of there. I had a friend with an engine hoist bring it over and we removed it with that.

Try to find someone you know with a 'cherry picker' hoist...I think thats what they are referred to as....

otherwise, get three or four homies and break your friggin backs. Just remember to keep your toes clear of the drop zone, should someone let go....

and clear out a place in the garage for it, you WILL be working on it there for sure! And dreaming about it.........

·
Premium Member
3,388 Posts
Angry Andy said:
and clear out a place in the garage for it, you WILL be working on it there for sure! And dreaming about it.........
Damn I hated when it was just sitting there staring at me, waiting to be put in my truck! Probably why I SAS'd so quick :eek: :D

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got it off the truck last night with the help of my Cousin. I got Line-X on the bed 2 weeks ago. The D44 chipped the line-X in multiple places. hahaha. Not we'll see if what they advestise about how they replace it for any reason.
Now what should I do to this axle next besides cleaning it?

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
TACORICAN said:
I got it off the truck last night with the help of my Cousin. I got Line-X on the bed 2 weeks ago. The D44 chipped the line-X in multiple places. hahaha. Not we'll see if what they advestise about how they replace it for any reason.
Now what should I do to this axle next besides cleaning it?
put under truck :D if you plan on getting it regeared which im sure you are, go ahead and pull everything off/out of the axle, most places cut the price down if they dont have to mess with taking everything apart, or you can pull everthing apart and put it back together a few times so when you break something on the trail you can fix it quicker.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
HAHAHA. Am gonna play with it tongiht. GF was all Mad yesterday cause I kept messing with it and didnt go to bed. That axle has brought problems. LOL. Anyway Do I need a special tool to remove the hubs, rotors etc?I was looking a dicks post on D44s and it says you need a tool for it. How do you all do this stuff

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
TACORICAN said:
HAHAHA. Am gonna play with it tongiht. GF was all Mad yesterday cause I kept messing with it and didnt go to bed. That axle has brought problems. LOL. Anyway Do I need a special tool to remove the hubs, rotors etc?I was looking a dicks post on D44s and it says you need a tool for it. How do you all do this stuff
You're going to need an allen socket for the calipers. You will also need a spindle nut socket to get the rotor and wheel bearings apart. Keep track of everything you use taking stuff apart and putting it back together. These are tools you should have with you on every wheeling trip since you need them to replace broken axles.

Later,
....Mike

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
TACORICAN said:
HAHAHA. Am gonna play with it tongiht. GF was all Mad yesterday cause I kept messing with it and didnt go to bed. That axle has brought problems.
lol, and the truck later down the road will cause more problems, luckly my gf likes the truck and knows how to pull my axle apart :xpimp: and gets pissed off when others break on the trail and have no clue how to do anything, god i love her :D

TACORICAN said:
Anyway Do I need a special tool to remove the hubs, rotors etc?I was looking a dicks post on D44s and it says you need a tool for it. How do you all do this stuff
what mike said and a few sockets, i keep all my axle pulling apart tools in a seperate tool bag so i can find everything a little quicker on the trails if needed.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
......it helps to have a biiiiiiiiiiig sledgehammer to remove the Waggy knuckles,you will also need a spindle nut remover looks just like this

have fun,and enjoy the grease,it tastes good :D

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
TACORICAN said:
Thanks for the info Anthony. I just picked one of those Spindle Nut Removers from Kragens. When are you going to start you SAS?
no prob dude.......I plan on doing the swap around fall or so,I am in no immediate rush,well maybe a little,but I am trying to remodel my house inside also so I dont wanna overwhelm myself....so yeah probably Sept-Oct we'll see!

When are you thinking you will do yours?

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
zszac111 said:
lol, and the truck later down the road will cause more problems, luckly my gf likes the truck and knows how to pull my axle apart :xpimp: and gets pissed off when others break on the trail and have no clue how to do anything, god i love her :D

man...she definetely sounds like a keeper! Time to get the ring ;)

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Davis3000 said:
no prob dude.......I plan on doing the swap around fall or so,I am in no immediate rush,well maybe a little,but I am trying to remodel my house inside also so I dont wanna overwhelm myself....so yeah probably Sept-Oct we'll see!

When are you thinking you will do yours?
Well am running things the same way you are. Just collecting parts and dealing with child support. So it will come probably at around that time.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got the rotors out. Now do I need to remove the back plate? that thing seems to really be on there... I tired searching but could not find anything. It doesnt seem like I can take the kuckles out without first taking that plate off.... Any advise?

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
TACORICAN said:
I got the rotors out. Now do I need to remove the back plate? that thing seems to really be on there... I tired searching but could not find anything. It doesnt seem like I can take the kuckles out without first taking that plate off.... Any advise?
Gently tap the spindle with a dead blow hammer. Make sure not to mangle the threads or mess up the surfaces where the bearings sit. Spray lots of PB blaster where the spindle seats into the knuckle, might be rusted in there.

Later,
....Mike

1 - 20 of 28 Posts