1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'82 Virago xv920j
21,100 miles
920 cc v-twin

First of all, it's been a great bike. I bought it last August from a t-sip in Austin just to drive to school. I've put about 2200 miles on it since that time, mostly driving too and from campus, but I've taken a few short trips around the Brazos Valley.

Mechanically, this bike is great. I've never had a problem from it, and it's started up fine every day since I bought it. I changed the oil last September with Mobil 1 full synthetic and replaced all of the gear oils with Castrol semi-synthetic. The oil will be changed again today or tomorrow, whenever I have time. Plugs were changed less than 100 miles ago because I thought one of them was going bad, but I found out I just left the spark plug cap a little loose after cleaning, so my "old" sparkplugs that I bought last September will come with the bike as well. Only thing this bike will need mechanically is a new airfilter, which I will probably order before I sell (I've just been blowing out the old one with my air compressor, but a new one couldn't hurt).

Gas mileage around town is right at 35 mpg, on the highway it gets a little higher, but I'm not sure since I haven't taken any longer trips.

Cosmetically, the bike is in great shape for being an 82 model. There are a few nicks on the paint, which I will most likely touch up with some paint before the sell, which all came from the previous owner not taking the key out of the gas cap when refueling. Other than that, everything is great, and I'm going to polish all of the aluminum this week before the sell. (Gordon's aluminum polishing kit will come with the bike, almost new, around $50 worth of solution - it's the best aluminum polish out there)

If you've never heard of this bike, it's got a huge following and nothing but great reviews. The bikes looks are a little dated, but if you're looking for a great commuter or weekend toy, this is the bike. If you ever have a problem, you can check out http://viragotech.com/phpBB/portal.php for a huge message board of dedicated owners. There are also a lot of tips for performance gains, exhaust systems, new bolt on goods, etc.

Asking price is $1500 OBO. I'm wanting to sell it before I move to Austin at the end of the month, so make an offer, but if nothing comes about, I'll just ride it to Austin and sell there.

Also included:
Full face HJC with 2 shields (1 tinted, 1 clear), size XL
Open face black DOT approved helmet with shield, size L
Open face black DOT approved helmet with shield, size S
Black canvas saddle bags
Bungee strap to carry stuff on rear portion of seat
Owner's manual
Documentation for the past ~10 years
Haynes manual

[email protected]
979-492-3164

Delivery possible to Austin, Houston, and Dallas.

Bike is located in Aggieland (Bryan/College Station).

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
im thinking about it. im very close to putting the taco in auto trader, and am considering a bike. just cant decide between a sport bike, or a cruiser. all my friends that have bikes have sport bikes so i'm leaning toward that.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This might complicate your decision some, but this bike rides alot like a crotch rocket. The engine is a higher revving twin and likes to run around 4-5K. I don't usually run it that high, just becuase I use it for commuting, but I've taken it on some twisties and it loves to go fast and bank around corners.

Also, the seat position is mix between a cruiser and a sport bike. As I have it now, with the adjustable handlebars, it rides more like a cruiser, but with some allen heads you can easily adjust the bars so you can ride more aggresively.

Another benefit of a cruiser versus a sport bike is insurance costs. I pay $46/year for liability. Sport bike coverage is 6 times that.

·
Registered
283 Posts

there you go.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts