TTORA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1984 4runner with 85k miles sr5 that i just finished putting on an ome 2 inch front lift and a 2.5 inch lift on the rear uping my tires to 33x12.5 on 15x10 M/T black Classic lock. My issue is the steering is pretty sloppy and the brakes are barely adequate. For all the high steers ive looked at i need at least 4inches of lift. My though is to just replace the ball joints ive heard you can use the ifs steering box to help also or a larger ps pump or both. And for the brakes ive read an fj80 brake master cyclinder or a v6 tacoma? I have also replaced both front calipers and pads and also replaced the rear shoes. My end goal is a capable off road rig to do some off road advetures and camping with my two boys as we are getting ready to move to california im planing at least one moab trip. Looking for any advice to improve the steering and brakes?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Nice rig! I'd start with servicing the front axle knuckles, trunion and wheel bearings specifically. These ol' solid axle rigs don't have ball joints so to speak, the knuckles pivot on the trunion bearings and do wear and get loose over time. Other things to look at are tie rod ends and of course the steering box. Marlin and other vendors sell knuckle service kits etc.. Also make sure your u-bolts are tight and your spring bushings are good. Good luck with it!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts