TTORA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 86 Toyota 22r knocks at initial startup for about 2 -3 seconds then sounds fine. So do I need to replace the main bearings and rod bearings? Or could it be a stretched rod? Or a bad piston? What's a good solution? Full rebuild? New mains, crank, and rod bearings? And what other years of a 22r could I use for a bottem end rebuild ?

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
My 86 Toyota 22r knocks at initial startup for about 2 -3 seconds then sounds fine. So do I need to replace the main bearings and rod bearings? Or could it be a stretched rod? Or a bad piston? What's a good solution? Full rebuild? New mains, crank, and rod bearings? And what other years of a 22r could I use for a bottem end rebuild ?
I've heard it's common on these motors to have piston slap when cold. Not sure if that's what your hearing but 2-3 seconds doesn't sound too bad to me. Maybe try a different oil.

Mine starts without a knock, then has a slight knock as it warms up and then fades away. Not terribly concerned about it, I've wheeled with a guy thats had a constant knock in his for years and it just keeps on going.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Put some Lucas Oil Stabilizer or something equivilent in to get rid of the dry start issue.

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts