TTORA Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some help in locating the rear windows glass for a 1988 1st gen 4Runner.

About a year ago, some thugs roamed thru our neighborhood late one night and kindly broke out the windows of a number of vehicles in our area including the rear window of my 1988 4Runner.

Little did I know at the time just how hard it would be to locate replacement glass for it. After more than a year of looking, I have not been able to locate any replacement glass (Boise Idaho area). I've found replacement glass in distance locations (1000 to 2000 miles) away in places such as Pennsylvania, Texas, New Mexico, and souther California -- but unfortunately, none of these sellers were willing to ship the glass -- for obvious reasons.

Desperately I kept looking and finally managed to track down a guy on the east coast who was willing to sell and ship the glass, claiming that he did so on a regular basis with little problem. Well, while knowing better, I bought the window and he shipped it, but upon arrival, you guessed it -- shattered. Fortunately, the seller refunded my $$$.

Long story short, winter is fast approaching and I need to get this window replaced. Any thoughts or help on locating a replacement would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,584 Posts
If you find parts in Socal, I can try to assist with shipping. I ship parcel and freight shipments all the time. Something that large would have to go freight, so likely around $350 for freight. Not sure if that is worth the cost.

·
Registered
450 Posts
If it were me, I'd buy a sheet of thick plexiglass (won't be cheap) and cut to fit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you find parts in Socal, I can try to assist with shipping. I ship parcel and freight shipments all the time. Something that large would have to go freight, so likely around $350 for freight. Not sure if that is worth the cost.
Many thanks for the offer. Continuing the search.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it were me, I'd buy a sheet of thick plexiglass (won't be cheap) and cut to fit.
I’m pursing this approach as well. Looking the dimensions for the window. Any pointers?

A local glass company suggested a laminated glass for roughly $300 or plexiglass for $350.

Of course, this all assumes there is no curve to contend with.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts