TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I going to change timing belt on my 1991 Toyota 4x4. I’m trying to loosen crankshaft pulley bolt, I tried with 1/2 air impact, but no go. Is there anyway to remove crankshaft pulley bolt? Toyota FSM on this truck mention some SST tool to hold pulley in place. Apparently left out some information, 5 spd manual trans.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lots of different options. You can wedge the flywheel, use a chain wrench on the pulley or the more popular route is to wedge a breaker bar on the frame and bump the starter.
Thanks for reply. I'll try the more "popular route," apparently dangerous.😳

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Apologize. Apparently never get shirt together. I removed radiator. Now get plenty of room to work. Use whatever option there is.🙄

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Apparently, the “breaker bar on fame” trick did not work. I’m told the Toyota factory use Locktite on crank pulley bolt threads, and I know bolt is torqued to 181 ft-lbs. There is “jig” from OTC that is available on Amazon, I’ll try it out.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is not supposed to be loctite on that bolt, but they are often a real pain to crack loose. If the starter bump trick didn't work, you should be cautious that you might be risking snapping the bolt off in the crank.
Apparently, a shop did waterpump and timing belt awhile back on my truck. I don't know if tech used Locktite.

·
Registered
436 Posts
  • Rotate the engine a little past TDC on cylinder #1.
  • Remove the #1 spark plug.
  • Slowly feed a thin rope/cord into the cylinder. The idea is to "fill" the cylinder with the rope.
  • When you try to break the crankshaft bolt loose the piston will not be able to continue to travel up and therefore should break your bolt loose.
I saw this a couple years ago on the internet. I've successfully used it a couple of times since. The rope won't score the walls and won't be able to be compressed.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I used crankshaft pulley holder and long 3/4 drive ratchet, with adapter, I managed to loosen crankshaft pulley bolt. Bolt never had Locktite on threads. I’m putting things back together, try finish today.:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts