TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1992 Toyota Pickup that came w/ a 2.4 L 22RE, it needs a new engine and I was looking at the 3.4L 5VZ to swap into it. Does anyone know the compatibility between the two? Its got a 5 speed manual in it if that helps, I've never done an engine swap so I have no idea what to look for or what to buy.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,464 Posts
If you swap in the 5VZ, you'll need the mating transmission to go with it. If the truck is 4WD, the standard transfer output from a 5VZ is driver side as opposed to the passenger side diff you have now. All new exhaust. Probably have to upgrade the fuel pump. Need the complete harness and instrument cluster, ECU, etc. Its a big undertaking with lots of challenges.

·
Registered
444 Posts
If you swap in the 5VZ, you'll need the mating transmission to go with it. If the truck is 4WD, the standard transfer output from a 5VZ is driver side as opposed to the passenger side diff you have now. All new exhaust. Probably have to upgrade the fuel pump. Need the complete harness and instrument cluster, ECU, etc. Its a big undertaking with lots of challenges.
Would he be a good candidate for a 3RZ? I swapped a 3.slow to a 3RZ and am loving it. I got the engine, transmission, transfer case and ECU as a deal. Bought the harness from ORS. There was still a lot of fab work that had to be done, but was worth it in the end.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,464 Posts
Would he be a good candidate for a 3RZ? I swapped a 3.slow to a 3RZ and am loving it. I got the engine, transmission, transfer case and ECU as a deal. Bought the harness from ORS. There was still a lot of fab work that had to be done, but was worth it in the end.
Can go either way, its about the same amount of custom fab work.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Can go either way, its about the same amount of custom fab work.
I couldn't find any 3.4s anywhere close to me (Georgia). They seem to be made of unobtainium. Originally, I planned on going that route. Then I saw that people liked the 3RZ. It ended up being my best option.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts