TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard that 1993 Toyota pick-up leaf would be more curved as staying at the same lenght than my stock leafs on my 1997 Taco. Is this true? It would be a cheap way to fit the rear height of my truck. With a good shock set-up and some ''revolver'' shackles there's something to do with that i think. What are you thinking about that?

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Correct, 89-95 pre-Taco leaves are a nice replacement for the 95.5-97 Taco leaves..A buddy of mine has wheeled a set on his 95.5 for 2 yrs or so and they have been great.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What's the amount of lift they gained with those leaves?

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
You'd have to move the spring hangers. The earliest model Tacomas had shorter springs than the later models. You can't just force them in there like that. It would ride like ass and the springs would probably break if you could get them in there. You may as weld solid metal between the axle and the frame as to do that.
Oh yeah revolver shackles are useful on a trail only rig if even that. From what I've heard a lot of folks who put them on, took them off later on. Add a leaves will work for a couple of inches are are probably the cheapest way to go. That is out side of lift blocks and lift blocks are not only gay they are evil.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Dick you are incorrect

I just did this mod to mine yesterday...........I put a set of springs off a 91 ex cab pickup on my 97 ex cab tacoma..........it worked awsome.........lifted the rear about 2.25"...........so far they ride great (only drove about 70 miles so long term I don't know).........and they seem to flex pretty decent (I ramped a snow pile just to see how they workek LOL).........and the best part is the whole setup (springs, new bushings, new u-bolts) only ran me like 110$........beats the hell out of 300+ for new stuff.

They are a direct swap........no cutting welding or drilling required.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
A 91 truck is not a Tacoma. The first model tacoma was 95.5. I don't know how long the springs were in 91. I do know that they are longer in later model Tacomas. I forget but I think the went longer in 97 but not sure on that.
Instead of doing any of that, I'd do Chevy springs. Can't imagine it would cost much different.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
the 97'sstill use the short springs.........they switched in 98 when they changed the grill / headlights ect.

I looked at the chevy's but It seems that the least amount of lift you could get was around 3" and that was too much for me.........plus then I would have had to move all my hangers and I would have had that long ass spring hanging out to catch shit......if i had a bigger lift then yeah that would be the way to go

By using the leaves off the pre-taco truck I did not have to move anything and it netted me just over 2" lift which matches my front donahoes perfect.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
You know you really want to do the SAS, even though it may be a secret thought, so that is a good excuse.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
No..... there is no secret thought.........I want to swap it..........that is why I have been trying to sell the 85............so i can start collecting parts.........I have 1 years worth of payments left and then I fully intend on hacking the IFS off.......which is another reason I went the cheap route with these springs.............no sense in throwing big money into something that will most likely be torn off in the not too distant future LOL

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
OK so now I have to ask why you don't just build the 85 and keep the taco stock and hold the resale value in it?
As soon as you hack it the taco the resale plummits to practically zero for normal people.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
well the taco has 175k miles on it currently and will probly have over 200k by the time I pay it off..........so resale is out the window.

The 85 is ruff..........If I was to build it it would be straight trailer only.....and that is not what I want...........i want a rig more like yours where I can drive it down the highway to the trail...........wheel it and then drive it backdown the highway home.

Plus the taco is fully loaded with all kinds of power gadgets and it has air conditioning and a heater and a radio...............and they all work.....which is more than the 4runner has.

someday I will probly want a buggy.........and then I will kick myself in the ass for selling the 4runner...........but that day is a ways off LOL

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Just as I said in post 2..As far as I'm concerned they make a great replacement for the crappy stock Taco springs they used in 95.5-97' years. Like I said that friend of mine has wheeled the hell out of his rig with the pre-Taco spring pack and they haven't been anything but golden. Just my .02

·
Registered
296 Posts
Plus if you buy the older pickup leaf springs for the superlift 4 inch lift they fit on the first generation tacoma at around 5.5 inches of lift.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
Surely true, but 5.5" lift with a spring that short wouldn't work real well IMHO..Really meed a longer spring to maintain a good ride and flex well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts