TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1994 Pickup heating up

The Problem: My 1994 pickup heats up quick, then the temp is inconsistent. I moved away for about 9 months and left the truck behind. My dad drove the truck for about 5 months then it sat for the other 4. I bought the truck in '03 and I coudn't get the temp gauge to go up beyond 1/4 of the way up if I tried. When I moved back I noticed immediately that something was wrong. With the heat selector switch in the cold position the truck heats up to about 1/2 way before the thermostat opens and allows the gauge to run between 1/4 and 1/2 way. If the heat selector is in the HOT position, the truck will heat up well beyond the normal range before coming to rest on the lower side of normal, then it will bounce back and forth between the higher and lower side of normal.

Solutions I've tried: When i first encountered the problem I changed my fan clutch first because of some advisement I got from my mechanic. This did not solve the problem. I have since drained the block multiple times, ran flushing agents through it twice, changed the thermostat, flushed the heater core with a water hose, changed the radiator and water pump, and ran BARS stop leak for head gaskets through it. All of the info I have been able to get thus far seemed to point to a bad head gasket, but I followed the directions to the letter when I used the stop leak, and it is still doing all of the same stuff. The last thing I can think of that could be causing the problem is some sort of blockage in the block, or more likely in the aluminum pipes that run into the block from the heater core hoses. I am thinking that the blockage might be restricting the flow of coolant to the thermostat and that is why it is worse when the heat is on. When I bought the truck I never flushed the coolant, so it may have been old enough to cause corrosion problems.

Any input on this baffling situation would be much appreciated. Thanks

-Dave from VT

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

I just wanted to say thank you for the wealth of information I was able to get from that link. I will be trying one of those 2-stage thermostats this week. I have thrown hundreds of dollars at this problem, so if all it takes is $40 thermostat, I can certainly handle that. I am baffled that after all the work I have done that it could be as simple as that to fix, but we'll see. Again, thanks for the help, can't wait to try it out.

-Dave from VT

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It took me a couple of weeks to get the part and get it installed, but it seems to work like a charm. Temp gauge still does not sit at 1/4 of the way up like it did when I bought the truck, but it is significantly better than it was. Thanks for the help, this forum ROCKS!

·
Registered
73 Posts
It took me a couple of weeks to get the part and get it installed, but it seems to work like a charm. Temp gauge still does not sit at 1/4 of the way up like it did when I bought the truck, but it is significantly better than it was. Thanks for the help, this forum ROCKS!
Mine's always done that with stock thermostats. Personally, I've never felt any need to do anything about it since it's not overheating to any harmful degree, and virtually all 22re's with stock thermos will do this.

Sorry you threw so much money at it, but glad you've got it fixed!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts