TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I can't believe it, but despite all the TLC I have given my truck thru the years, it seems that nonetheless she's gonna give me a BIG problem.

I have a leak coming from on top of the bell housing. Even with a mirror it's impossible to see clearly, but that's where it starts. It's now leaking about dozen drops a day. Some of the leaking fluid is drying on the bellhousing before it drips off, and it's drying to a black tar-like consistency. That makes me want to believe it's the 80W manual tranny oil, but I just checked the tranny fluid, and it still has its greenish tinge to it (syn blend). I unfortunately think it's engine oil. I'm going to change my oil within two weeks, and if the new leak has a golden color to it for the few days after, that will confirm my worst fears.

So here are my questions:

1) How common is this in a truck with 102,000 miles? The truck has been obsessively-well maintained. I am completely pissed that this has happened.

2) Anyone ever replace a rear oil seal? I know it's going to be easier for a pro to do this; I simply don't have the tools or experience to remove the tranny and flywheel to get to this seal. Fortunately it seats in a bolted on retainer, and the retainer can be taken off to replace the seal.

3) How much is this gonna cost me to have a pro do it???

Thanks to anyone who takes time to respond to my post.

Sam
SLC, UT

·
Registered
983 Posts
A leaking rear main seal will not leak from above the bell housing. More than likely it is the tranny leaking at the top where the shifter goes in. If not, I think you have a leak from higher up, probably a valve cover or even a head gaskit problem. Look at the engine above the bell housing and let us know what ya see.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, John, but it's not leaking above the bell housing, but like I wrote earlier, at the TOP of the bell housing, where the tranny and the stiffener plates mate up with the block. But it's also like I wrote earlier, I just can't get a good visual on this so this is really tough to say.

It's also not at the shifters; they're a good 18" back, plus I pulled the boots this morning and all was well.

But your post does make me think. Even though I swear it's not the head gasket, it does seem really odd that the leak is on the top of the bell housing.

It's drippin pretty good though; I gotta figure this out.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
My rear main started leaking a couples years back. At first I was like OH Sh*t. I did some procrastinating for a while cuz I didn't want to deal with it and pretty soon it stopped leaking. HHHhhmmm... Game on. I haven't seen it since.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My rear main seal strated leaking a couple of months ago on my 95 v6 with 150,000 miles on it. I got an estimate to get it fixed and they said $400 for the labor. I'm taken it up their tomorrow to get it fixed. I thought that was a pretty good price. I am not about to replace it myself, although I have all the tools in the world to work on it. It just seems like to much work especially beacause I have a 4x4 with the transfer case on the transmission and everthing.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
The back of the intake manifold could also be suspect..The oil will run down on top of the bell housing..

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you are going to have someone do your main rear seal, you should think about fixing some other parts while your there. At least the clutch/throwout bearing/pilot bearing setup and possible your oil pan gasket.

·
Stinks like fish
986 Posts
Auto RX the damn thing and see of that helps.
http://www.auto-rx.com/pages/sealleak.htm

It's nothing dangerous to have a drip(mostly irritating and something you need to keep an eye on and watch your oil levels.

I would give this a shot, If it works to stop the seal leak , Great! If not at least you cleaned up the engine really well. And then you can get the seal repaired.

Not snake oil, but an alternative to jumping right into a repair your not ready to do yourself and a shop will bend you over for. Some seals can be saved others are too far gone IMO it's worth a shot.

Good luck however you choose to resolve it.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
whoooaaa a rear main leaking on a Toyota, that's rare, lol! The best thing to do about it, is fix it, its bound to happen, and don't dilly dally around about it when it goes out. If you do, and the oil gets on your clutch, unless your clutch is about to go out anyways, the clutch is worthless!

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
jh3 said:
Will a manifold make the infamose "s-10 blazer screamin fan" sound?

LOL, what? Are you referring to the fan being loud at start up or after its been sitting for a while???

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
wslytoy said:
LOL, what? Are you referring to the fan being loud at start up or after its been sitting for a while???
as I'm driving, ALL the time. Just started after this wknd wheeling trip, will it go away? I sure dont like it, and it makes me wonder about the man. Also does anyone know what year toy. started the "improved manifold" on the 2.7

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
jh3 said:
as I'm driving, ALL the time. Just started after this wknd wheeling trip, will it go away? I sure dont like it, and it makes me wonder about the man. Also does anyone know what year toy. started the "improved manifold" on the 2.7

if you're referring to the exhaust manifold, I think the 00' yr model was when they redesigned the manifold..... I could be wrong about that. You might wanna check your fan clutch for the fan noise!

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
wslytoy said:
if you're referring to the exhaust manifold, I think the 00' yr model was when they redesigned the manifold..... I could be wrong about that. You might wanna check your fan clutch for the fan noise!
What am I checking for? I.E. sloppyness ? Just not real sure, ya think it was that damn mudd?

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
jh3 said:
What am I checking for? I.E. sloppyness ? Just not real sure, ya think it was that damn mudd?
LOL, mud fucks up everything man. Watch out for overheating, if you're gonna be doin all that damn muddin, get an electric set up so you can just turn the fan off when you run thru the bottomless pits!

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
wslytoy said:
LOL, mud fucks up everything man. Watch out for overheating, if you're gonna be doin all that damn muddin, get an electric set up so you can just turn the fan off when you run thru the bottomless pits!
NO MORE MUDD!!!!!!!!! That chit is the :xdevil:

Thanks, Josh

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
jh3 said:
NO MORE MUDD!!!!!!!!! That chit is the :xdevil:

Thanks, Josh
Mudd is the DEVIL. :xdevil: I avoid it like the plague. After 5 alternators in 100,000 miles I stay out of it. Besides they won't warranty my alt. anymore because of how many I have went through.

Later
-Trent

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
dstrbdone said:
Mudd is the DEVIL. :xdevil: I avoid it like the plague. After 5 alternators in 100,000 miles I stay out of it. Besides they won't warranty my alt. anymore because of how many I have went through.

Later
-Trent

that's nothing, try 5 altenators in 1 month, along w/ 5 batteries to boot. Ok, well it started out w/ mud being the culprit, but then they were shorting eachother out, but you get my drift!

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
dstrbdone said:
My rear main started leaking a couples years back. At first I was like OH Sh*t. I did some procrastinating for a while cuz I didn't want to deal with it and pretty soon it stopped leaking. HHHhhmmm... Game on. I haven't seen it since.
did it get worse befor it got better?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
jh3 said:
did it get worse befor it got better?

No not really. Are you losing a considerable amount of oil?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts