TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed new gears today and they were put together professionally, me and a buddy. The problem is there is an odd noise. It drives strong and feels fine but when there is no torque or even little torque on the drivetrain it sounds like a "rattle" lack of a better term. IT sounds like a bearing or maybe even like the driveshaft is out of balance. Any ideas? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Mine did that - it was a u joint gone bad.

When you removed the driveshaft from the thirdmember, did you mark it and put it back on the exact same way?

My other guess is that it's the gears breaking in - but mine didn't do that. Be sure to drive it only for short trips for a while, letting the diff cool down sufficiently between trips!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That was my thought...but it seems odd that it would happen as soon as I did the install. I will check it out however. You know I totally forgot to mark the shaft and 3rd member...that could make a difference huh? Thanks for the info and it has to be one of the first two or a combo of.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
isnt it so that the 3rd member can only fit in the housing one way? Am I crazy or can it fit both ways?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
3 Participants
91toyota4x4
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing