TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm brand new to the site and fairly new to the whole solid axle swap concept. Who makes the best kit for my truck? What all will I need to gain enough lift to comfortably run 39.5 bogger. I currently have 7 1/4" total lift not including tires, the 3" body lift will stay the rest will go. I think I want to keep the original rear axle just change gearing, and probably use an 84-85 front axle. I am a greenhorn so feel free to set me straight! Thanks.

·
I LIVE FOR THIS
1,700 Posts
MTNRIDE said:
Hey guys, I'm brand new to the site and fairly new to the whole solid axle swap concept. Who makes the best kit for my truck? What all will I need to gain enough lift to comfortably run 39.5 bogger. I currently have 7 1/4" total lift not including tires, the 3" body lift will stay the rest will go. I think I want to keep the original rear axle just change gearing, and probably use an 84-85 front axle. I am a greenhorn so feel free to set me straight! Thanks.
I welcome you with open arms. Scroll down alittle and you will see a SAS section with some info there.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Sas

MTNRIDE said:

If you wanna go w/ a classic Toyota 8" you're gonna have to either pay a lot more, or do a lot of fabricating, but most likely both. Front Range Offroad has a 8" that they make custom for Tacoma's since the older Yota's have the passenger side diff, unlike our trucks w/ the drivers side diff. But, in order to make it the proper width, you're either gonna have to go w/ custom axle shafts or wheel spacers. I would recommend the axle shafts. Wheel spacers aren't something I'd trust. Past that, you'd just have to fab up the spring mounts and get a steering box, brace the frame properly, get a new drive shaft for the front, and empty your bank account. I'm sure there's some loose ends some1 else can tie up, that I didn't point out. Good luck, and welcome! Peace, Wes

·
Registered
375 Posts
MTNRIDE said:
I've been researching this for about two years, and plan to start the SAS on my '96 in Feb. I think you basically only have three choices:
1. 91-97 Toyota Landcruiser (or lexus 450) 8" high pinion reverse cut gears with factory E-locker. This is rated as a 1 ton axle, probably comparable in strengh to a D60 with the diff on the same side as yours and about the same width. This is what I'm going to do (Coil over)
2. D44 axle. They're easy to find and cheap. This is the most popular swap. About the same width. Diff on the same side, and probably almost as strong as a Toy axle. Lots of diff-lock options.
3. Early 80's Toyota axle. The diff is on the wrong side (as mentioned above), and you will have to do some fabbing. They are also narrower than the Taco. Can be retrofitted with an E-locker.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Winch said:
I've been researching this for about two years, and plan to start the SAS on my '96 in Feb. I think you basically only have three choices:
1. 91-97 Toyota Landcruiser (or lexus 450) 8" high pinion reverse cut gears with factory E-locker. This is rated as a 1 ton axle, probably comparable in strengh to a D60 with the diff on the same side as yours and about the same width. This is what I'm going to do (Coil over)
2. D44 axle. They're easy to find and cheap. This is the most popular swap. About the same width. Diff on the same side, and probably almost as strong as a Toy axle. Lots of diff-lock options.
3. Early 80's Toyota axle. The diff is on the wrong side (as mentioned above), and you will have to do some fabbing. They are also narrower than the Taco. Can be retrofitted with an E-locker.
isnt the diff on an fj80 axle on the passenger side? cuz i was wanting to use that axle and found it to be that way

1 - 7 of 7 Posts