TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 1997 4Runner with the 2.7l motor and am looking for a little more power. I really notice the power need when I'm on the highway and lose all my speed when going up some steep hills during ski trips. Help with this or any other easy-to-do power mods would be appreciated.:confused: Thanks!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Gears, won't give you power, but you will have a mechanical advantage.
Intake, exhaust are some bolt-ons that will give you power.
TRD Supercharger will give you the most power, other than a turbo set up. I'm sure you could contact LCE or some other engine performance company to tear into your motor and do cams, pistons, rods, cransk shaft, etc to give you more power, but that will probably cost alot.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
what gears do you have, and is it manual? I also have a 97 4runner 2.7l manual, and i dont have a problem with hills, but i have 4.556 gears in it. I run about 70 at 2800 rpms. They only time i notice slowing down was a really big hill, more than 5 percent grade, and my car slowed from 73 to 68. I was still passing cars and trucks up it.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Cant get much more power outta a 2.7 without totally hampering the reliability of that engine. The bolt ons will help, but not much. Like they said gears with give you the best kick for the buck, or you can get the SC or turbo and have to mess with it for a year to get it to run right again.

·
Registered
268 Posts
4 banger + 4runner = slow pig. You'll spend less and be happier by selling that one and buying a v6 4runner.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
With the right gears, a 4cylinder 4runner isnt bad at all. My 97 4runner 2.7 with 4.556 is faster than a mid 90's land rover, and gets double the gas mileage.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gearing sounds like the best thing for now. Might do an intake and full exhaust mod just cuz it's cheap and e-z. Thanks for all the great advice!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts