TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Do I need to replace the front suspension? Is the added weight of a Warn winch and the new All-Pro Tacoma Winch Mount Front Bumper too much for the factory shocks?

The 1998 4x4 xtra-cab is my daily driver, but I grew up Wheelin' so, when I needed a new front bumper, I went for a clean 4x4 winch mount...I got the best looking/ lightest one I could find...but is it too heavy?

-Brian

·
Registered
556 Posts
quick answer: yes you need new suspension

long answer: I'm currently in the process of installing Icon adjustable coilovers to the front of my truck so I can compensate for the sag of my winch bumper.
The winch adds 100+ pounds at the very end of your truck. This will cause the springs in the front to sag lower then the rear of the truck if they haven't already without the bumper. The truck will ride stiff and rough and you have less upward suspension travel. If you hit a bump sometimes your tires may rub the inside fender if you have 31"s. You can get away with it for a while like I have but I would highly recommend adding an adjustable coilover when you can. :2cents:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome!!! I was kinda hoping that I could justify beef-ing up my Tacoma a bit more.

Can I just add the font coilovers? Or is it necessary to replace the entire suspension? I see everyone makes them...from Rancho to Bilstein. Has anyone done this yet? Any photos?

·
Registered
638 Posts
search or post in newbie tech. this is covered a bunch

·
Registered
556 Posts
All you need are coilovers, but ultimately you can go for a solid axel or long travel suspension. I don’t think rancho makes a coilover just the crappy quick lift spacer thing. Do NOT get any of those spacer lifts. Just do some searching on here there is plenty of info.

·
20,355 Posts
If you dont want the front to sag than yes. For your year i believe you have to modify the frame also for that bumper.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts