TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im trying to put a flex fan on my Tacoma and no matter what I do the fan and fan clutch will not come off the truck. Not sure if it's just seized on there or what, but I've taken the 4 12mm nuts off the fan clutch, I've taken the power steering belt, and alternator belt completely off and still no matter what I do, the fan won't come off the pulley...any suggestions? Tried beating on it with a hammer, tried pb Blaster over night, tried pulling it off with some sketchy rigged up ratchet straps pulling it forward. Tried a big ass pry bar, no matter what I do the fan won't come off the pulley...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There should be nothing else keeping the fan clutch attached. You need something bigger to hit it with to pop it loose.
am I going to damage anything by hitting it really really hard? I have a 20lb sledge. I mean I've hit this thing pretty hard so far

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tell me how crazy this is. I've been at it for 3 days to no avail. The fan and clutch see not coming off no matter how big a hammer, no matter how big a pry bar, no matter how much heat/cool, no matter howany pulling devices I try...what if I hacksaw right through the fan spacer and the water pump and then replace the water pump as well? Could work I think

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Radiator off? Seems like it's rusted on put a wedge in-between the mounting plate and wack it.
hats off to you sir. the fan bracket was rusted to the small shaft that was in the center of the "false water pump". Its off now. It wouldn't break free no matter what I tried/no matter how hard I hit it. ended up using a hacksaw to saw through the fan spacer closest to the fan clutch as possible. Once the fan and clutch were sawn off and out of the way, I thought it would allow for me to get a wedge in at a more aggressive angle in order to pop what remained of the fan spacer off. Since I had a shiny new flex fan and billet spacer sitting in the box in my garage it didn't matter to me that I would destroy the stock fan setup by sawing it in half. Despite my best efforts, and way too much time spent beating on the fan spacer, the damn thing still didn't budge. At this point I had already taken the radiator out to prevent me from bending the other half of the fins that weren't bent already. So next, I decided to take the "false water pump" or "fan bearing idler bracket" off in hopes that I could clamp it in the vise and and get that pesky spacer off using any one of the 4 elements (Hammer, Fire, Ice, PB Blaster). So off came the upper timing cover to make it easier to see what was going on, although theoretically, one could leave it on, because it doesn't really make a difference. Then, the Fan bearing idler bracket came off, and with it, the two pulleys (Alternator and Power steering pulleys), and alas the pesky fan spacer. At this point with the whole thing off I had the ability to hit (and see) the spacer at any angle. Now. I'm sure I could have worked the spacer off given some time, but I was over it. I'd had invested my entire weekend, the Monday after work till late into the night, and the day I called in sick to work (today:dunno: ). so that's when I took an angle grinder and cut a notch straight through both pulleys in order to give me me a direct angle to hit the back of the fan spacer full force. It worked. Bracket came off and revealed one very rust shaft :cool: . The fan bearing idler bracket was completely unharmed so I could have bolted it back up, however I did spend the better part of 4 days smashing the fan with a hammer so I decided the bearing was probably toast. Also the "well I have it off now so I might as well replace it" mindset took over. I ordered up a new bracket from the usual suspects, and that's all I've got so far. Can anyone tell me what those two pulleys are referred to as? The ones that the Alternator belt and Power steering belt ride on? I obviously need to replace those as well since I may or may not have cut directly through them :saw:eek:ops.
Slap the new bracket on, slap the new pulleys on, slap the flex fan on, and my truck will be mint as ever. :xbeer1: Btw if anyone is wondering how long it takes to saw through a stock Tacoma fan spacer with a shitty hardware store low profile hacksaw, the answer is: Long enough you could work enough over time to be able to afford a Sawzall. Ask me how I know.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts