TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1999 4Runner SAS and Buildup - Project "BMF TOY"

I originally planned for the last few years to start over with my 1995 4Runner that I use to wheel but after thinking it over and then this 99 popping up for sale I decided to start completely over. It also helped that the 95 was basically stripped anyways. It would have cost more to buy the stuff to do a 3.4 just to get me where I'm at with the 99 also.

It's so sad to see the 95 look so hopeless. This truck was my first Toyota ever. :( I'm very very sad to see her go. Enough with the online memorial onto the fun stuff.

Now let me introduce you to the new victim. :D It's a 1999 3.4 sport edition, 5 speed.

My main goal with this 4Runner is to keep it LOW with 37" tires. I want it to be under 24" ground to frame.

Front Specs:

• Custom 9.5" Cruiser Third Front Housing - ~66" WMS to WMS
  • 31" Center to Center Spring Perches.
  • Aussie Locker
  • 30 spline Long Birfs
  • Custom Shafts
  • Tundra Calipers and Rotors
  • IFS Hub Body's
  • Custom leaf packs – using 48" and/or 51” Toyota Rear Leafs
  • Cryo-ed and heat treated 5.29's
  • 9.5” third
  • Datin Fab Front Hanger
  • Shackles through frame
  • FJ80 steering box
Rear Specs:

• FJ80 E-locked Rear Axle
  • Datin Fab Front Hangers
  • Shackles through frame
  • F150 springs
  • 9.5” third
  • Cryo-ed 5.29's
Other Specs:

• Dual T-cases – 2.28 front and rear - both 23 spline inputs
  • Triple Shifters – I want to keep my cup holders so I don't want anymore holes in the floorboard
  • Pitbull Rocker Radial Tires - 37x12.5x17
  • 17" x 9" Centerline ICE DOT beadlocks.
  • Custom Front and Rear Bumpers

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
These are my 5.29 gears. Front has been heat treated and cryo-ed, the rear was just cryo-ed. You can see the heat marks on the front.

I also got Long's extra dowl pin kit and felt eliminators.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is my R151/R150 hybrid transmission. I didn't want to purchase the $350 adapter and $150.00 23 spline input needed to bolt gear drive dual cases behind my 96+ R150 so I took 3 transmissions I had in the garage and made the one I wanted.

This is my set-up now.

3.4 Motor -|- 96+ R150 Bell-housing and input -|- 89 R150 Trans Gears -|- R151 Tail-Housing -|- R151 Transfer Case -|- 23 spline Dual Adapter -|- 23 spine top-shift case.

I had to use the 96+ bell-housing and input because they are 1" longer than the 95 and older ones. I had to use a 95- R150 as the R151 tail-housing wouldn't bolt up to the 96+ trans because it a little different.

Here are a few pictures. I know everyone loves pictures. :bounce:

R150 Inputs - left = 96+ | right = 95 and older

The yellow circled areas show the difference between the R151, PRE 95 R150 and the 96+ R150. The newer R150 was changed around in the rear tail-housing a little. The internals are the same as the older R151 and R150.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found the same kind of snap ring pliers Marlin sells at Sears for $13.00. They work great. I also found an awesome set of lock ring pliers to remove the out put shaft lock ring so I can get the lock rang gear off and also install my cromo Bobby Long output.

Here's some pictures. The napa ones on the far left are P.O.S. crap. Plus they charged me $40.00. :pissed: Sears had the same ones for $12.00.

Aussie Locker for the front axle.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Picked up my Rockers.

I think the kid approves. I really liked these pictures, goes with the name of the tires. :D

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Today We swapped some stuff over to my brothers 4Runner. I also removed all of the stickers from the darn thing. I hate stickers all over trucks so they had to go.

The plan for the next few days is to get her in the garage and start cutting her up.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found a set of used Centerline ICE - DOT legal bead-locks. I picked up 5 for a steal of a deal. I got them cheaper than I could get re-centered H1's.

They're 17x9. 4.5 BS. I really like the look. I might have them professionally powder coated black one day but plan to just run them as is for now.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DAY ONE OF REAL PROGRESS. APRIL 15 2011.

We made it official. I got a lot done in a few hours. Removed the trans, rear axle, exhaust, gas tank and some of the front end stuff. Today I've got the front end completely pulled apart.

I'm planning to start cutting tomorrow. No real hurry. I'm still waiting on some parts.

Cleaned garage up.

My little helper. She's awesome.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DAY 2. April 17.

I got the front IFS crap cut out today. I was going good and planned to get everything ground down when my neighbors asked me to stop as it was loud. Tomorrow will be game on.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Me and my gf had plans to go look at that truck like 2 days after you bought it, haha

Looking good though

·
Banned
4,181 Posts
Awesome Build! This is looking great!

Transmission note: (hijack ON)
The R150F had an internal change in 1992, moving the 1993-1995 to the changes you noted in the above pictures, snap ring verses adjusting nut, and the shift rails got bushings in the intermediate plate and front housing. The shift fork for the 5th gear was changed to the 96 style as well. I can't confirm the bearing size though.
(hijack off)

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Me and my gf had plans to go look at that truck like 2 days after you bought it, haha

Looking good though
Well I guess it was a good thing I didn't slack off. :D

sweet!!!! keep the pics coming.:cool:
Thanks.

Awesome Build! This is looking great!

Transmission note: (hijack ON)
The R150F had an internal change in 1992, moving the 1993-1995 to the changes you noted in the above pictures, snap ring verses adjusting nut, and the shift rails got bushings in the intermediate plate and front housing. The shift fork for the 5th gear was changed to the 96 style as well. I can't confirm the bearing size though.
(hijack off)
Thanks.

That's good info on the trans. My 93 FSM shows everything still being the same as the older trans.

·
Banned
4,181 Posts
I think my 95 FSM does as well, IDK where it would show. The bushings aren't even sold by toyota never have been, not listed. Certain sources have custom upgrades

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
making good progress.:saw::welder: Starts getting exciting now ...just got to get past all the damn grinding!!
I found a trick way to get the leftover crap off. You grind the weld a little then take an air hammer and it'll just eat up the weld. Almost no grinding doing it that way. I'll get some pictures today.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts