TTORA Forum banner

181 - 198 of 198 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm sorry I'm lagging so badly. The end game on a long term project keeps you very busy. I've been working out the bugs for the last month and it is really starting to show. It is by far the nicest crawler I've ever driven on the street. It's road manners are very impressive. And it is faaaaaaassssst too.

I'll get some pics up soon.
Is it "soon" yet? :)

·
Registered
422 Posts
We went to the Adaptronic ECU for two reasons. The first reason was the Vehicle Immobilizer System, which is part of the CAN BUS. The second reason was the custom intake manifold.

We could have worked around the immobilizer because the system in trucks is simple versus the system in let's say a Lexus SC430 (3UZ), which was our first motor choice. The intake really made up our mind for us though. How were we going to be able to tune for the new intake with the stock ECU? It's not possible.
The way to tune for a different intake, would be to use a URD UCON, which would likely cost more than your adaptronic ECU... i think you made the right choice.

I just bought a 1GR taco... man i'd love that engine in a 1st gen, definitely a beast!

·
Hawaii's Damage Control
1,026 Posts
One problem I'm having right now is the driver's side cylinder head is lightly contacting the aluminum parking brake housing that comes out of the firewall. It only does it occasionally, and I should have foreseen this, but the motor mounts flex fore-aft more than I expected.

I can't clearance the head any more than I have, and I can't remove the parking brake, so I came up with an idea of running a bumpstop mounted to the firewall to contact the head before anything else does. Does this sound crazy to you guys?
I know this is a few months late, but if you get a 90's 4runner e-brake handle and cable you can get rid of the aluminum housing. The 90's 4runner e-brake handle is close to the same but has the pulley on the handle and goes through the floor. I did this to my 86 and it works tits!

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
I know this is a few months late, but if you get a 90's 4runner e-brake handle and cable you can get rid of the aluminum housing. The 90's 4runner e-brake handle is close to the same but has the pulley on the handle and goes through the floor. I did this to my 86 and it works tits!
Good idea. Thanks.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #188
Here's a small update. For those of you interested in doing this swap, I am in the process of designing an oil pan adapter to run the T100 oil pan. This will simplify the "which pan" question and will be a lot easier to fit around steering links and panhard bar. If anyone is interested get ahold of me through my website. www.stoffregenmotorsports.com

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Here's a small update. For those of you interested in doing this swap, I am in the process of designing an oil pan adapter to run the T100 oil pan. This will simplify the "which pan" question and will be a lot easier to fit around steering links and panhard bar. If anyone is interested get ahold of me through my website. www.stoffregenmotorsports.com
The Xrunner pan is pretty shallow as well. There are several pans available for this motor for sure, but you knew that.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Who sells the adapter for the RA60F to RF1A geared case?

This engine really would be perfect for a 1st gen Tacoma as V8's are a bit big for the engine bay. Too bad there wasn't an easy adapter to a R150F gear box.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #197
Who sells the adapter for the RA60F to RF1A geared case?

This engine really would be perfect for a 1st gen Tacoma as V8's are a bit big for the engine bay. Too bad there wasn't an easy adapter to a R150F gear box.
Inchworm sells one.

He is also working on a generic 6 speed adapter to be able to use the RA60 trans behind most Toyota motors...including the V8.

181 - 198 of 198 Posts