TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK here it is I have a 98xcab V6 trd, and I have a little more than an hour in a salvage yard to grab what I can for super cheap. I have a list of what I am going after first, some things I need and others because of time restaints are on my hunting list. Now I know that there are a few Tacos there so I have a few goodies I am after and a few other vehicles that I want to look at because I know exactly what seats I want and they are not Yota.

My question, what would you snag given the time(1 hour give or take). I have a buddy going with me, he has some things he needs for one of his Heeps but could help me where needed.

My list so far, and I know some are more like wish list items but well If they are just laying there and just need to load them I will score them :p.
1. Power Steering pump (need mine is shot)
2. Rear tail lights lenses (need both are cracked)
3. Power windows both sides( I want them )
4. LC wheels (want them real bad)
5. Seats (need, I have 60/40 bench hate it hate it hate it, I know what make Im getting my replacements from but will wait on telling what kind on that one because I want to do a write up on them...they will be sick :0 )
6. Tundra wheels and brake calipers if easy to snag( wanna upgrade )
7. Manual hub front assembly, all of it if torch available (want it, but not sure on torch)
8. Waggy dana 44 front and back ( yes all in an hour can you believe it)
9.Well this is where I look for suggestions. Other yota parts or what have you but keep in mind this is to help my yota or of like vehicles (Not looking for a hemi lol. Just toyota upgrades or good spares to have.

thanks

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
bring a battery powered sawzall.. cut bolts. things come off fast that way. :) Think smarter! A torch would be awesome, a buddy and myself could probably full two truck beds in an hour with a torch, sawzall, and someway to lift the heavy stuff.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OOOH didnt think about saw, I dont have battery powered one but an invertor and a long cord for the one I do have....or maybe I should just upgrade for a new one :p Great Idea ty

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Chainlink said:
OOOH didnt think about saw, I dont have battery powered one but an invertor and a long cord for the one I do have....or maybe I should just upgrade for a new one :p Great Idea ty
Not a problem. bring extra blades and even cutting fluid if you are serious about it.

We have also taken a C02 tank, and air tools to a wreaking yard to pull parts. BFH's and a nice strong long prybar are always helpful.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya hammer was on list plus screw gun and vise grips(assorted sizes) 3 pry bars, PB to help loosen stubborn bolts. Tons of sockets and such. Even have hack saw set aside , just didnt occur to me about Sawzall...I truly do thank you for that one.

If given a chance I might try and snag upper control arms too. would like some shaved ones.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Why do you only have one hour :confused: Do they charge you 2 bucks for another hand stamp if you stay overtime or something?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its kinda like well, when the Cat is away the mice will play......On the up and up but well the deal I will get is sweeeeeet.....insurance totals and such.....its a insurance and Dealer only kinda spot...so getting my foot in there is a rare treat so I will not want to over stay my welcome.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Chainlink said:
Its kinda like well, when the Cat is away the mice will play......On the up and up but well the deal I will get is sweeeeeet.....insurance totals and such.....its a insurance and Dealer only kinda spot...so getting my foot in there is a rare treat so I will not want to over stay my welcome.
hmmm...interesting. I never knew there were dealer salvage yards, I need to look into that.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I would only get the easy stuff (things that will only take you a few minutes) that is on your list. Also simplfy your list, if you want power windows, saw the hinges of the door and take the whole damn thing. I would focus on parts that you can sell more so though, like 4 D44s and such. Those things will go quick on here or pirate and you can make some money for yourself.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
slus said:
hmmm...interesting. I never knew there were dealer salvage yards, I need to look into that.
Salvage impound...holding area.....All I know for sure is this place is not open to the general public to go, so alot of prime peices there.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
GreenTaco4x4 said:
I would only get the easy stuff (things that will only take you a few minutes) that is on your list. Also simplfy your list, if you want power windows, saw the hinges of the door and take the whole damn thing. I would focus on parts that you can sell more so though, like 4 D44s and such. Those things will go quick on here or pirate and you can make some money for yourself.
I see where your head is at, I get it but thats why I said Tacoma specific, dang if I had the mojo I could maybe snag a LS1 V8 but thats not realistic nor are the axles,,,Heck anyone could find plenty of parts to sell, but I want to know what a yota fan would grab in order to improve his or her rig.

,,,but power windows I deal with all the time(auto glass) so that would be super quick, although I had planned on whole doors so I could take whats left over and make half doors. I need the PS pump and really am excited about the seats as I have a real good chance of not only getting heated but the color combo I want.

Rear lenses....dang about as fast as it gets.
Seats super fast
Doors pretty fast
PS Pump bet it will take me a few minutes due to space constraints.
LC wheels...who knows

Although I have thought about putting in a 10 minute scouting trip with my digital camera and mapping out an attack plan...lol...Im so cheap.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Get you one of these. They will cut thru anything. To get a axle cut the leaf springs and pull the axle out from the truck. Less chance of strating a fire than a torch.

PS... This should have been in the off topic folder

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
98taco4x said:
PS... This should have been in the off topic folder
Why? excactly...its not any vehicle?

OK I have scouted an got the low down. I can only grab parts that I can replace IE: Lenses and such as the vehicles do go to auction so need parts on them even if slighty damaged. Although almost every thing is late model because of high turn around. What then would be easy upgrades? newer head lights fit? or tail lights?

AS far as little stuff I know what I want, found a trailer hitch nice shape ladder rack....no tacos with power windows :(

Seats are a no go because of the pull and put back Idea :(
PS pump is a no go as every V6 had 150k+ on them.

Saw a nice Tundra with Ivans on it but I have the dang 15 inchers so I cant grab those. I woulda went after the brakes too but o well.

Found a couple of tacos with manual hubs so I am going to do alot of research on that swap.

The good news other than small stuff is I have all day now.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Chainlink said:
Saw a nice Tundra with Ivans on it but I have the dang 15 inchers so I cant grab those. I woulda went after the brakes too but o well.
Find some cheap 16 steelies from a Chevy and swap them. Those rims are worth alot and look great.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ThePinkTaco said:
Find some cheap 16 steelies from a Chevy and swap them. Those rims are worth alot and look great.
That is an idea, I just thought that chevy rimswerent hub centic and wouldnt fit, I may me wrong as par the norm.

So far I found I can upgrade my Headlights to the clear lenses in later models and I know there are some there woot, now to find about the rears.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,213 Posts
Chainlink said:

OK I have scouted an got the low down. I can only grab parts that I can replace IE: Lenses and such as the vehicles do go to auction so need parts on them even if slighty damaged. Although almost every thing is late model because of high turn around. What then would be easy upgrades? newer head lights fit? or tail lights?

AS far as little stuff I know what I want, found a trailer hitch nice shape ladder rack....no tacos with power windows :(

Seats are a no go because of the pull and put back Idea :(
PS pump is a no go as every V6 had 150k+ on them.

Found a couple of tacos with manual hubs so I am going to do alot of research on that swap.

The good news other than small stuff is I have all day now.
With manual hubs, you will need:

spindle w/ bearings
cv's (just pop um out)
Hubs

Thats it. If you have abs now, then it won't work.. If you don't have ABS, it's a direct swap.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well since I have ABS it seems I will just get a couple of spare shafts and call it good.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
I would pull, ECU's, Valve Bodies from Automatic Trannies, Shifter Linkage, Front Diffs, Drive Shafts, Manual Hubs, good CV's

...Hell - run around and check for Superchargers...

...Basically I would try to get things that are expensive and in demand that I could sell.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts