TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Well I got started on my Satoshi tonight. Heres a few pics. Ill have more of a "write-up" soon when I get some time.

More pics to come...

Started off with a new factory Grille Assembly

cut the "guts" out...

first rough sanding with 400 grit...

taped it up...

getting there...

The rigid back edge had to go...

started with a little fiberglass...

trying to get the fiberglass to dry faster...

almost there...

found some better fiberglass, figured id throw that on there too...

im gonna let that dry, and try to get back at it this weekend...

More progress and pics soon...

Ryan

·
Registered
423 Posts
I like it on the first gens ... it'll look even better on your 1st gen grill than it does on mine though.

Hard to see ... but it's there behind all the other junk. I used an extruded metal sheet instead of mesh. It's caught a few nice sized rocks bombing down the road with no issues and lets lots of air through for the rad.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Yota...

Doc, iv always like them on the pre-01 trucks. looks clean. and yours does too!

Iv been sanding the crap out of that thing, and im still using 100, 400, and 800:banghead: ...i havnt even gotten to the 1000 or 1500

Made some more progress tonight though. Hopefully get some kind of mesh soon and get this bad boy attached:cool:

·
Registered
1,757 Posts

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
What the ????????????????

Now I haven't been on this forum for a long while. Did the jackasses on Custom Tacos buy this site?

·
Registered
516 Posts
By the way DocMcCoy, I dig your truck! You seem to be doing everything I plan on doing to mine. Like the sport hood, headlights, etc. I already have the ARB, just thinning it down a bit...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cool project, interested in seeing the final product.
Thanks man:cool:

I got all the bondo on and sanded last night, and also got the mesh all cut out and fiberglassed in.

Some last minute sanding and cleaning up some fiber and ill throw that emblem on and be done!

Pics to come...

btw...thank you to those who actually appreciate this mod:rolleyes:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here she is:cool:

Disclaimer: Im not a pro at ANY of this stuff. Im pretty much a beginner...so give me a little slack:rolleyes:

first thick layer of bondo...

getting the mesh fitted in...

the grille was perfect to just bend it over the edges...

finally starting to look like a satoshi

im about embarassed at my first fiberglassing...all i have to say is, THATS SOME STICKY SHIT!

BUT....shes not going ANYWHERE:D

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Couple coats of paint...

First test fit of the FJ emblem

Decided to mount the Hellas behind the grille so I could see more "TOYOTA"...first rigging of a light bar bracket

Old...and New

and the lights all wired up...

test fitting it to the hood. Had to cut off the hood latch the stuck out..and fit in some new hood clips

And here she is

·
Registered
646 Posts
Looks good! My vote would be to put some hella black magic's behind the grill so they don't stand out as much.

·
Registered
423 Posts
what brand head lights are those? i've been looking at the IPCW http://www.andysautosport.com/toyota/1995_2004_tacoma/lights/headlights/in_pro_car_wear/ but can't seem to find a set of corner lights to match.
I'll be honest. They are ebay specials. I was doing so much work to the truck all at the same time that I found an ebay deal that both the headlights and the corner lights at the same time. Search for black tacoma headlights and a whole wack of stuff will pop up. The fit with the aftermarket lights is junk but I couldn't justify spending the dollars on OEM lights when these were 2/5ths the price.

Just be aware that the fit is gonna suck with any brand of cheap aftermarket lights. I've made them sit properly but it took a lot more work than the OEM ones I replaced.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts