TTORA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really want to get ready for takeover and since it is about -5 degrees out right now and my truck is covered in snow, I just wanted to see if anyone has a templatet for a skid plate like a bud-built or skid-row style skid? I would go measure but like I said its way too cold, but I have a sheet of 3/16 3'x5' stainless plate that I am gonna build my skid out of and it would be nice to be able to print out a template and have it water jetted to make it easier, so if anybody has one let me know, thanks guys.

·
Registered
992 Posts
my question is.. we tell people not to get DB lifts for their tacos and stuff... but the skid plate we sell only fits DB lifts?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thnaks for the info buddy, but I was thinking more along the lines of this. Its not a big deal, I just wanted to get a jump on it, but if I need to wait till it gets nicer thats fine, I just know there are a lot of guys on here that seem to have templates for everything.

·
Registered
539 Posts
There use to be blueprints for a skidplate design on here a while ago but I havent seen it in some time. I know your trucks covered in snow but if you take a few measurements you can fab one up yourself

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
If you have a p-torch it is just as easy to build it right on the truck. Its hard to find any templates that will fit all the different bumpers/suspension setups that are on members' trucks.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Isn't that the one that you have to add spacers on because its to close to the control arms?
Yep.

If you have a p-torch it is just as easy to build it right on the truck. Its hard to find any templates that will fit all the different bumpers/suspension setups that are on members' trucks.
Yeah I am going to order a plasma and a miller 211 since I just have a tig right now. I am thinking on just cutting the peices out from the template only cutting instead of bending and then just weld the angles that way I can make sure it fits my bumper because with my BL and bumper, I know it won't line up if I just use the template, but at least I have the general layout with the holes.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Yep.

Yeah I am going to order a plasma and a miller 211 since I just have a tig right now. I am thinking on just cutting the peices out from the template only cutting instead of bending and then just weld the angles that way I can make sure it fits my bumper because with my BL and bumper, I know it won't line up if I just use the template, but at least I have the general layout with the holes.

with the DB and the BL you are kinda stuck with a front skid that is damn-near a battering ram, LOL. That setup makes is extremely hard to get a good angle on the skid for sliding over things rather than bashing into them.
Those I've wheeled with who had that finally gave up and went SAS.

good luck.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Its hard to tell in that pic but there's no drob bracket, I just have a 2" bl and coilovers at about 2", that angle make the truck look big but it really isn't and I just want something for protection for the co takeover, but belive me if I had the$ $$ for sas I would totally do it.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I dig the bumper. You build that too? I like how slim it is.

Keep in mind no matter how strong you build a skid plate if you bash into it all the time you are bound to bend the frame at some point. on my 2007 the Toy Tech I go to has told me that I need t lay off bashing the All Pro I have because I have already slightly tweaked the front cross member.

Maybe you can address some additional support as you build your version.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I dig the bumper. You build that too? I like how slim it is.

Keep in mind no matter how strong you build a skid plate if you bash into it all the time you are bound to bend the frame at some point. on my 2007 the Toy Tech I go to has told me that I need t lay off bashing the All Pro I have because I have already slightly tweaked the front cross member.

Maybe you can address some additional support as you build your version.
Thanks man, yeah I did build it. That is true about the skids, I was planning on reinforcing the back with some sq tubing and make sort of a skeleton, but im really just concerned about getting the bottom of the motor and radiator safe as they are exposed right now. This is my dd and I just want it to handle some mild stuff nothing crazy, if the money comes around I would like to pick up another older tacoma and make that a dedicated company trail rig.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Its hard to tell in that pic but there's no drob bracket, I just have a 2" bl and coilovers at about 2", that angle make the truck look big but it really isn't and I just want something for protection for the co takeover, but belive me if I had the$ $$ for sas I would totally do it.
ah, got it.

so, it looks like you have some sort of front xmember either built into your bumper or that has been welded between the frame horns like what we do for a SAS. Either way it looks like you have something to bolt the front of the skid to where your existing skid is now, correct?
From there I would just measure the width you need (should be around 21") and the length to the next bend point under the diff about even with the front diff mount bolts. I use a section of 3" channel at this point that sits against the xmember to give clearance for the diff mounts and the cam bolts. From there the next section of plate goes to just past the steering rack. That's the front skid. Then I build a tranny skid that goes from that point to the tranny xmember. If you want a tcase skid the best way is to build another removable xmember that goes behind the tcase and run the next plate from the tranny xmember to the new one.

(some build pics)
http://www.norcalttora.com/~chris/mods/skids/t-case skid/

not quite enough pics but you'll get the idea.
there are a bunch of 1"x 1/4" bar gussets on the inside that aren't shown but you can see some of the blueing on the underside from welding them in.

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/~ccorley/Misc Pics/Peetie, skids/Peetieskids/

·
Registered
539 Posts
buddy and I were talking about building a skid and I thought I would share this if you dont have a brake and need to make bends.

use a cut off wheel or a plasma cutter and make a dotted line cute - - - - - -
should be easy to bend on a curb or what ever is near
after you have your angle weld some nice thick welds over the dotted cut lines top and bottem

is it the best solution no... but it will allow one to make bends and have reasonable strength

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
buddy and I were talking about building a skid and I thought I would share this if you dont have a brake and need to make bends.

use a cut off wheel or a plasma cutter and make a dotted line cute - - - - - -
should be easy to bend on a curb or what ever is near
after you have your angle weld some nice thick welds over the dotted cut lines top and bottem

is it the best solution no... but it will allow one to make bends and have reasonable strength
that's how we made the bends in Peetie's skids...cut-off wheel about 1/2 way through the side that faces out and then sledge hammer over the curb or a 4x4. Once adjusted to where you want the bend, weld in the open crease....works great.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts