TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
***SOLD***

Selling a set of 4.88 diffs for 1st Gen Tacoma or 3rd Gen 4Runner. Front and rear. Rear is e-locker. These are complete diffs built by East Coast Gear Supply with Nitro gears. Have just under 10K miles on them. Selling as a set only. Still in the truck, but coming out next week.

***SOLD***

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
I'm utilizing 4.88's in my '00 (5vz/5 spd)
and I am sporting 34" tires currently (33.8)...
But liked my 4.88's even more so with my prior 285's.

Should've seen 1st gear when I was still sporting 265's ! :D

Put it in 1st, let out the clutch and roll up most any high traction surface
at idle rpm (750).
Made me think I was sporting a crawler box :p

I'd think 4.88's would see an auto trans running cooler
and not hunting for gears when placed in overdrive (@ speed/elevation climbs) ?

^ assuming the tires were near to 33" tall.

I have a buddy whom has a Dcab (5vz/auto / heavier then the Excab)
kept his axles at 4.10 and only installs his 33's when going off road.

But he had to add an additional trans cooler
or the tranny temps would get a little high when off roading or loaded.

He lacked some valuable torque by utilizing those taller 4.10 gears.

Was basically a trade off for him...
so's he could install his 265's for street duty.

I am curious as to why your removal ?
and what is replacing those ?

4.56 ?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hear ya man. Its obviously going to be a bit of a trade-off on offroad vs. highway, but this truck is not a rock-crawler...I dont need to have it stuck in first and low and just be idling up/over anything. I'm doing mostly highway and then desert and forest service roads with the occasional medium-hard obstacle. With the 4.88s, 5VZ, auto, and 33s (255/85/16), I am burning 3000rpms at 80mph...way too high for highway for me...and on hills, it still drops out of OD and wants to get in 3rd to maintain speed and that wants to burn at like 4K rpms...no thanks..and then getting like 12mpgs through all that to boot....

I've previously had a 2002 4Runner with 5VZ, auto, and 33s (305/70/16) and a 2002 Tacoma DblCab with 5VZ, auto, and 33s (255/85/16) and in both of them I went from the stock 4.10s over to 4.30s and I found it much more tolerable than the 4.10s. Was it perfect, maybe not. Maybe 4.56 would give just that little bit more. But these 4.88s are definitely too much for me and my driving/wheeling style. I also know a few guys that have fit 35s up to their 1st Gen DblCabs and absolutely loved 4.88s with 35s.

Anyway, just my personal experience. I'm again throwing 4.30s in. Used 4.30s are MUCH easier to find than 4.56s, and at this point, knowing I've been satisfied with 4.30s before, I'd rather save my money for other things than go in deep on new 4.56 gears (and the gear install/setup). I'm also planning on adding a supercharger for that extra oomph on the big highway hills (as well as the aux auto trans cooler which I've already got sitting here ready to go in). If I was in the rocks all the time, I would not be swapping and I would prob want 5.29s and 35s/37s and the 5-speed.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Hey man I had scuba PM you finally sorted through and got my log in info sorted out ... diffs still available?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey man I had scuba PM you finally sorted through and got my log in info sorted out ... diffs still available?
Sorry man, by the time I got his message I already had about 5 people in line on them... They're sale pending right now on the first guy. I'll update the thread when I get payment and/or if the deal falls through.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And just to update on the 4.88 vs 4.56 vs 4.30 topic... I took the truck on its first test drive with the 4.30s just now. Truck is still nice and peppy off the line. Feels real nice still. Excited to take it out on the interstate a bit later and I'll post up my rpms etc. Swapping diffs is a sh!t ton of work, but its going to be worth it for this extra bit of highway I'm (hoping) to get. :D

·
Registered
428 Posts
Dang it... I thought it was a match made in heaven lol... let me know

1 - 8 of 8 Posts