TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm ready to start cutting the firewall. I looked at some of the other tubbing threads and either it hasn't been mentioned or I missed it, but is there anything I can do about the body mount?
I'm running 35x12.50x15 MTRs, 3.75 BS, 1" wheel spacers, 3" suspension lift, and no body lift. It seem awful close to the body mount, even without any flexing (as shown in the pic). I know I've heard of some body mount modifications to 2nd gens, will it work in this case? Can I cut off the closest bolt if I have to and just reinforce the mount?

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
those tires must be really wide. i had 1inch less backspacing than your running and i only took a little nibble out of my mount and it had plenty of room. how your alignment?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's been a little while since I had an alignment but it seems to track straight and I had good, even tire wear on my winter tires and my 33" KM2s I had before these. I believe the caster was a little off though since I'm running stock UCAs.

·
Registered
272 Posts
This is a good question and one that I was wondering about as well. Looking forward to more input...

Didn't you tub your wells for 37" tires sasaholic?? I thought I read somewhere that you tubbed for 37s but ran 35s. Seems like you would've run into this? I wonder how GOT COPE? got around his body mount...

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
This is a good question and one that I was wondering about as well. Looking forward to more input...

Didn't you tub your wells for 37" tires sasaholic?? I thought I read somewhere that you tubbed for 37s but ran 35s. Seems like you would've run into this? I wonder how GOT COPE? got around his body mount...
yes i tubbed my truck with a 37inch tsl. like i said i cut a tiny bit out of my mount but not much and after having the alignment done and the tires pushed forward i had no issues at all

·
Registered
272 Posts
yes i tubbed my truck with a 37inch tsl. like i said i cut a tiny bit out of my mount but not much and after having the alignment done and the tires pushed forward i had no issues at all
dang... well ok. how wide was the TSL? 9.5"? Maybe it's all in the alignment then

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
dang... well ok. how wide was the TSL? 9.5"? Maybe it's all in the alignment then
from big outer lug to big outer lug it was 13 1/4 wide. id say your alignment has a big part in why your rubbing there. you have to tell the tech to get the tires pushed as far forward, but still within spec as possible. any decent shop can do that

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help. If it does rub a little I'll try taking it in for another alignment. If it rubs a lot, I'll just chop it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm really not sure now if re-adjusting the caster will completely fix it. Would adjusting the caster really move it far enough forward?

The tires don't really seem that wide to me?:confused: (pictured without doors/front fenders.)

This was my very first welding project so go easy on me.:D

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
you have a 2.7 with 4.30s and 35's?? hows your power?
its gotta suck ass i can tell you that. 2.7 with 35's really needs 5.29's you can get by with 4.88s okay if you have a manual, but with an auto 5.29's are a must

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did a whole thread on a 1st gen 4Runner. I know it's not the same, but check it out. http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=164292

Body mounts can be cut down or cut off and relocated. How much time do you want to spend on it? That is the question.
Thanks, that job you did looks damned good.

Been running the new tires for a few days now and looks like I may need an alignment anyway, so I think I'm going to give that a shot.

Hasn't been too bad at all really. I do have a 5-speed manual. I haven't had a chance to take it offroad yet, but I've been able to putz around town without any problems.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Nice thread OP. :)

Mine is as well.
I bought it this way(lift/35's), and have ran it almost 2 years this way. Its not as bad as you'd think probably, but definitely would benefit from new gears. Does it require more shifting and hitting a lower gear on grades? yes. But I've lived with it this way as my DD for 20k miles so its doable.
Going to tub my fenders like the OP, then ditch the 3" BL the last owner had on the truck, then 4.88 gears and some lockers probably this winter or coming spring after saving some cash this summer.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
So the place I took the truck into for an alignment said it would be an extra $90 to move the caster farther forward, rather than simply moving it back to spec. F that! I'll just use some scrap 1/8" and just do the body mount chop thank you.

Welds look like shit because at the same time I was welding, I was trying to keep the rubber gasket on top from burning too much.:rolleyes:

On another note, apparently the alignment was really bad haha. They said the toe-in was so far off it didn't even register on the machine. Found out my passenger side TRE was shot too.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts