TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i might be getting some 14" shocks for cheap, but the only downfall is that they are 2.0" shock body.my dhoes are all 2.5" on all four corners so i don't have anything to compare a 2.0 ride quality to.i know they will fade quicker than the 2.5 but how bad.i am tying to piece together parts that i can use on my 62's when i can get them.so what advice can i get from you guys?

·
Registered
225 Posts
You will want to run a 16 or 18 inch shocks with those 62's to get the max travel out of them. Save your money and wait for a good deal on a 16 or 18 inch 2.5's. That way you won't have to pay for shocks twice when you want to upgrade.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
true true, but seeing as i have to keep my bed kinda functional, i was thinking a 14" shock and a simple bed cage wouldn't take up too much room.plus it will be a little while till i get my 62's, so i kinda want to up the performance of my 7 leaf deavers till then.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jerimedic, are you going to the race in barstow this weekend?

·
Registered
225 Posts
No, I tried to get it off work, but nobody wanted to trade shifts. I am going to try to swing by if I am out that way, so keep and eye out for my ambulance, ha ha.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i'll just put in a call some you can respond in your ambulance, mobb it thru the whoops.anyways i am going to ditch the idea of the bed cage, and just get some 12" shocks and run them under the bed.

·
Registered
700 Posts
usaf_taco said:
my dhoes are all 2.5" on all four corners so i don't have anything to compare a 2.0 ride quality to.
im pretty sure the rear hoes are a 2.0 body... i know the fronts are 2.5, but i dont think the rears are. you might already have experience with a 2.0 in the rear. haha

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
For most people 2.0 is fine - you're only gonna experience shock fade if you run hard through big-to-moderate whoops for an extended period of time - as in 20 miles, not 20 yards while your buddy films for youtube.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Baja Belk said:
not 20 yards while your buddy films for youtube.
WTF?

I run 7100's in the rear and never had too much of a problem with them fading, only a few times on occasion. You know they are when they get too hot to touch, ouch!!! :D Or when the oil inside is about as viscous as water and your bumps start hitting more and more hahaha

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Tweeter said:
WTF?

I run 7100's in the rear and never had too much of a problem with them fading, only a few times on occasion. You know they are when they get too hot to touch, ouch!!! :D Or when the oil inside is about as viscous as water and your bumps start hitting more and more hahaha
Hot's normal. Our buggy actually handles better after warming up the shocks a little bit. If you can grab your shocks with your bare hand you're not going fast enough :rolleyes: There's a certain temperature point (varies among shock oil brands) where the oil breaks down and actually begins to seperate and become more viscuous like you said. But it's usually a pretty high threshold. Like up towards 300 degrees. At the shop I worked at we tested different oil brands in an empty shock body with a blowtorch to figure out the different temp threshholds. I don't remember exactly where they were all at but it was pretty interesting. I think Lucas Oil's Synthetic Shock oil was the best.

At Primm 2 years ago we didn't have enough time to test and our shocks were waaaay too stiff. Ended up melting off the zip-tie that held the boot on and melted part of the boot off. Finally they faded completely and it was the most painful 100 miles of my life. What I was trying to say was basically you have to be going fairly fast over decent sized whoops for a good distance for the shaft speed to heat the oil enough to break it down (Especially for the rear shocks where there's not much weight). For our trucks (unless we're racing) it's almost impossible to go fast enough, rough enough, and long enough to lose the shocks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts