TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A guy has 2.5" and 4" front waggy springs for a good price. When I do my SAS I want to run 37 SSR's and already have a body lift. Just wodering if the 2.5's with longer shackles would work better or just go with the 4" ???

Thanks for the input

Hutch

·
Registered
57 Posts
So when i go for my sas this summer, i finally decided with Front Range Off Roads axle , anyway i would like to clear 37" tires and i have a 2" BL already. I would like to run the 44044's but why long/short side foward whats the difference and whats involved to get them to work correctly, and shackles?

·
Premium Member
3,388 Posts
Long or short side forward doesn't change shackle length/angle. Not too much has to be changed if you run short side forward. Basically what we are talking about is when you look at the leaf spring, there are the 2 eyes that hold the bushings and the center pin. So if you can imagine, setting your truck up with the short (leaf spring bushing center to center pin, aka the shorter of the 2 distances) side forward, it will pull your axle forward more than if you were to run long side forward (leaf spring bushing center to center pin, aka the longer of the 2 distances). Since most of us use leaf springs and a shackle in the rear (as opposed to a shackle at the front of the frame) when the truck flexes out, the stuffed tire will move backwards up into your firewall while the other drooped side will be away from the fender completely and moving forward. Basically all you get from running short side forward on your leaf springs is a better approach angle and the ability to stuff larger tires without getting into your firewall. Questions?

·
Registered
57 Posts
generalee7 said:
Long or short side forward doesn't change shackle length/angle. Not too much has to be changed if you run short side forward. Basically what we are talking about is when you look at the leaf spring, there are the 2 eyes that hold the bushings and the center pin. So if you can imagine, setting your truck up with the short (leaf spring bushing center to center pin, aka the shorter of the 2 distances) side forward, it will pull your axle forward more than if you were to run long side forward (leaf spring bushing center to center pin, aka the longer of the 2 distances). Since most of us use leaf springs and a shackle in the rear (as opposed to a shackle at the front of the frame) when the truck flexes out, the stuffed tire will move backwards up into your firewall while the other drooped side will be away from the fender completely and moving forward. Basically all you get from running short side forward on your leaf springs is a better approach angle and the ability to stuff larger tires without getting into your firewall. Questions?

Hmmmmm.... k thats better. Yeah i had that idea but needed to make sure. Whats the possible tire size with these two combinations i can run.
>Stock waggy springs+ 1.5"shackle+2" body lift
or
>44044's+1.5"shackle+2" body lift.
or just ditch the body lift in the first place? Just checking to see if i could clear 35" for sure and maybe 37"s if possible with some slight trimming if need be.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
You will have plenty of room with the bodylift. I removed my body lift after my SAS because with the rancho 44044 springs my truck was way too tall for 35's. I plan on going up to 37's in the future. But even then I should at the most need a 1" body lift.

Trent

·
Premium Member
3,388 Posts
83srtoy said:
Hmmmmm.... k thats better. Yeah i had that idea but needed to make sure. Whats the possible tire size with these two combinations i can run.
>Stock waggy springs+ 1.5"shackle+2" body lift
or
>44044's+1.5"shackle+2" body lift.
or just ditch the body lift in the first place? Just checking to see if i could clear 35" for sure and maybe 37"s if possible with some slight trimming if need be.
I really don't understand what you mean by 1.5" lift shackle, 1.5" longer than what? 1.5" of lift over what? If I were to do 37's, I definately would run 44044s over the 7 leaf waggys because once the 7 leafs settle they are flat instead of slightly arched like the 44044's. But, if you have a body lift, you might be able to clear with the 7 leaf waggys, just ask someone with that same setup. You can definately clear 35's with stock waggys and no body lift. I ran that for a while and it wasn't bad, I kinda liked the low height. Good luck

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
also with the springs short side to the front it will probably make your pinion angle suck, so you may have to rotate the knuckles (most do) i run 44044's and a 3" body and clear 39.5's, but i have cut the hell out of my fenders/firewall.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
6 Participants
zszac111
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing