TTORA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all im new here and had a question about replacing my exhaust. I have 2000 2.7 litre extra cab it looks like it has two cats but im not sure? sounds stupid huh? but does any one know or can anyone tell me if it does? also if it does have two can I replace it with only one? thanks for your help. :confused:

·
Registered
73 Posts
jerseytaco said:
hello all im new here and had a question about replacing my exhaust. I have 2000 2.7 litre extra cab it looks like it has two cats but im not sure? sounds stupid huh? but does any one know or can anyone tell me if it does? also if it does have two can I replace it with only one? thanks for your help. :confused:
i talked with the guys at LC Engineering months ago and they told me the first thingy (from the engine side) is a resonator and the next is a cat. you could take the first off but it would make it louder. the cat you don't want to mess with period. nothing but probs and no significant gains at the revs you would use your truck at (2000- 4000). get a header and a performance muffler or cat-back and you will see some nice improvement. i have the 2.7 and replaced the muffler with a dynomax super turbo and it was great bang for buck. good luck.

·
Registered
279 Posts
lavaboy2 said:
i talked with the guys at LC Engineering months ago and they told me the first thingy (from the engine side) is a resonator and the next is a cat.
I call bullshit on LCE. The first thing is a catalytic converter and you will trip a P0420 without either cat. Trust me, don't mess with them! :xdevil:

·
Registered
279 Posts
jerseytaco said:
Yes they're both cats and yes, you do need both cats. Your ECU is programmed to compare the signals from the two O2 sensors for catalyst efficiency. Without one of the cats you'll trip the P0420 code for catalyst efficiency threshold exceeded.

The cats on your truck do not inhibit flow too badly. If you want to mod your exhaust do it after the cats and/or a header. Leave the cats alone.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
akshunj thank for the inf but im getting conflicting reports but i have to agree with you because they both have sensors in them. if and when you need to replace the cats where can you get them? at the dealer? or aftermarket?

·
Registered
73 Posts
jerseytaco said:
akshunj thank for the inf but im getting conflicting reports but i have to agree with you because they both have sensors in them. if and when you need to replace the cats where can you get them? at the dealer? or aftermarket?
i called three different parts depts for toyota and one was'nt sure but the other two said they were cats. i guess the guy a LC engineering did'nt know what he was talking about.
i did'nt mess with either anyway cuz there would be no significant gains to be had so why bother.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
lavaboy2
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing