TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 Tacoma 2.7 5 Spd. Im going to put a dual exhaust on and was debating between a regular flowmaster 40 and a Magna flow 18". Which would sound the best? :welder:

·
Banned
598 Posts
why dual? may hurt peformance (it will).

you want to keep the exhaust gases hot and moving, and for a 4cyl this is done better through a single exhaust. header would be best, and i prefer pre-muffler (glasspack) into main muffler (magnaflow).

·
Registered
170 Posts
How come you would put a glasspack before a muffler? That doesn't seem like it would make any sense to me, but I'm still learning.

On a side note - I have a magnaflow 14" muffler on my 2.7L tacoma now and I love it. I think I'm going to change it would to a center/center and maybe 2.25" instead of the 2" one I have now. Something like a cat-back maybe.

I would suggest a header too. That's my next project once the money is there.

·
Banned
598 Posts
Tacoma4Life06 said:
How come you would put a glasspack before a muffler? That doesn't seem like it would make any sense to me, but I'm still learning.

On a side note - I have a magnaflow 14" muffler on my 2.7L tacoma now and I love it. I think I'm going to change it would to a center/center and maybe 2.25" instead of the 2" one I have now. Something like a cat-back maybe.

I would suggest a header too. That's my next project once the money is there.
a magnaflow alone is noisy (IMO). placing a perforated (not louvered) glasspack (aka "pre-muffler") before the main muffler makes it more quiet while not restricting. it would be best to have a true helmholtz resonator there, but none exist and a glasspack is a cheap off-the-shelf item (a walker "thrush" unit from summit is cheap).

·
Registered
363 Posts
I just replaced a Flowmaster on my regular cab '03 Tacoma w/2.7 motor. That damn thing was loud IMO. It had an awful rumble inside the cab @ 2200 rpm's. I also noticed a drop in the low end pull.

I had a Dynomax installed and it sounds great. I now have a bit more pull thanks to the increase in back pressure.

Later.

·
Banned
598 Posts
Ritchie said:
I just replaced a Flowmaster on my regular cab '03 Tacoma w/2.7 motor. That damn thing was loud IMO. It had an awful rumble inside the cab @ 2200 rpm's. I also noticed a drop in the low end pull.

I had a Dynomax installed and it sounds great. I now have a bit more pull thanks to the increase in back pressure.

Later.
back pressure is bad! it does not help anything. one could run into a over-scavenge effect, but not very likely on your setup. big exhaust tubes can also be bad.

is your Dynomax a "wide-open" type? and the Flowmaster was a "chambered" type? if so then switching to the Dynomax probably reduced back pressure allowing the exhaust gases to leave more freely (helping the engine breathe easier).

for a all out performace muffler, it would need to be designed to scavenge the gas as it left the tip, this would help pull gases down the exhaust piping.

some good info can be found by browsing through www.burnsstainless.com

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just bought a gibson exhuast and a downey header sounds great and i can feel a heel of a differance!!! :)

·
Registered
363 Posts
cvajs said:
back pressure is bad! it does not help anything. one could run into a over-scavenge effect, but not very likely on your setup. big exhaust tubes can also be bad.

is your Dynomax a "wide-open" type? and the Flowmaster was a "chambered" type? if so then switching to the Dynomax probably reduced back pressure allowing the exhaust gases to leave more freely (helping the engine breathe easier).

for a all out performace muffler, it would need to be designed to scavenge the gas as it left the tip, this would help pull gases down the exhaust piping.

some good info can be found by browsing through www.burnsstainless.com
I now have the Dynomax super turbo. I measures 25" long overall and the actual muffler length is 20". I switched to it because the Deltaflow 40 series Flowmaster was too loud. It was a 2 chamber, 2.5 in and 2.5 out.

In both installs, the OEM pipe was used.

Much better in every way for my application,

·
Registered
628 Posts
Can you get me some part numbers and where you ordered your exhaust items from? I am thinking of exhaust upgrades next and if you already did all of the homework can I copy it?
Thanks
Jason

·
Registered
363 Posts
terminator said:
Can you get me some part numbers and where you ordered your exhaust items from? I am thinking of exhaust upgrades next and if you already did all of the homework can I copy it?
Thanks
Jason
If you were asking me for part #'s, I have only 1, and here it is....

DynoMax Super Turbo #17747.

Later

1 - 10 of 10 Posts