TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to put a new muffler on my 2.7 and was going to have dual tail pipes. I was looking at the magnaflow and wondering if the 14" sing-to-dual would have a deeper sound than the 18" single-to-dual. I have heard that the longer the muffler the ricier it will sound.

Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am looking for the deepest tone possible from the little 4-banger. What would be the best muffler for that?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yoter said:
I am looking for the deepest tone possible from the little 4-banger. What would be the best muffler for that?

I have had many people think my 4cyl is a 6 with my Flow-disaster 70 series. Yes this muffler is friggin huge (made for big block v8s) but it is deep. My exhaust is not loud at all but while idling it has set off a car alarm or two. The exhaust pulses are very deep, plus it dumps under the bed in front of the rear axle. The alarms had to be set more sensitive than average though!

I wouldn't change it for anything else because it's the sound I wanted in a basic exhaust.

Puckett

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Our 2.7's dont really provide enough back pressure to run dual pipes w/o losing some lowend power. P.S. i also thought the smaller the muffler the louder and ricier it was and the longer the more low and mellow it was.

·
Registered
565 Posts
flatlandtacoma said:
The longest one you can find. I agree with the flowmaster 70 series as a good choice.
Do they make a flowmaster 70 with a 2.25" in and out?
I have read that the 2.25" is the best diameter exhaust for the 2.7.
And what does it cost to have a FM 70 installed?
Thanks

·
Registered
264 Posts
DakotaTacoma said:
Do they make a flowmaster 70 with a 2.25" in and out?
I have read that the 2.25" is the best diameter exhaust for the 2.7.
And what does it cost to have a FM 70 installed?
Thanks
Oops, no I don't think they make one 2.25" in & out. My bad :eek: . As far as cost, the same as having any other muffler installed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i have a flowmaster also and i had the muffler shop put a 3" tail pipe comming out of the muffler sounds real good to me ( just like a V6) andi did not lose any low end power

·
Going John Galt
31,844 Posts
Puckett said:
I have had many people think my 4cyl is a 6 with my Flow-disaster 70 series. Yes this muffler is friggin huge (made for big block v8s) but it is deep. My exhaust is not loud at all but while idling it has set off a car alarm or two. The exhaust pulses are very deep, plus it dumps under the bed in front of the rear axle. The alarms had to be set more sensitive than average though!

I wouldn't change it for anything else because it's the sound I wanted in a basic exhaust.

Puckett
did you notice any performance gains? is this model a higher flowing muffler than OE?

you get the manifold??

·
Registered
137 Posts
hytenor said:
did you notice any performance gains? is this model a higher flowing muffler than OE?

you get the manifold??
I did notice some performance gains when I switched the exhaust, and even more when I did the K&N drop in filter. Basicly the engine revs up quicker when needed offroad, and it seems a bit quicker in accelerating.

This model does flow considerably more so than the stock muffler (it's made for big block v-8s!!), but seeing as I have a stock cat. I don't see how I would lose much backpressure that the would affect my torque or valve train. The only pressure that's gone is from the cat. back.

My drivetrain is so far off stock it is hard to say what is causing this or that in gains or losses. 5.29s and 35s on a 5 speed is not fast at all, but it is quick enough for around town and GREAT for offroad.

I got the manifold, and have yet to install it. It snowed and is cold and I'm a :xcrybaby: , lol

·
Going John Galt
31,844 Posts
Puckett said:
I did notice some performance gains when I switched the exhaust, and even more when I did the K&N drop in filter. Basicly the engine revs up quicker when needed offroad, and it seems a bit quicker in accelerating.

This model does flow considerably more so than the stock muffler (it's made for big block v-8s!!), but seeing as I have a stock cat. I don't see how I would lose much backpressure that the would affect my torque or valve train. The only pressure that's gone is from the cat. back.

My drivetrain is so far off stock it is hard to say what is causing this or that in gains or losses. 5.29s and 35s on a 5 speed is not fast at all, but it is quick enough for around town and GREAT for offroad.

I got the manifold, and have yet to install it. It snowed and is cold and I'm a :xcrybaby: , lol
thanks, my OE muffler is about due for a swap and I didn't want the MUCH louder sound that the model 40 and 50 give. with the fipk my truck is loud enough ;)

·
Registered
137 Posts
hytenor said:
thanks, my OE muffler is about due for a swap and I didn't want the MUCH louder sound that the model 40 and 50 give. with the fipk my truck is loud enough ;)

Any noticable power gains using the FIPK? I tell ya what, on four cyl. engines I really like the sound of a good intake over the sound of an exhaust. It wouldn't be justifiable to put on a kit like that just for the sound, there has to be a performance benefit though!

I have been looking at different filters and filter covers like the Outerwears covers that keep water out of cone and cylinder style cotton filters. A straight pipe with a filter and filter cover over the inner wheel well would be the way I go for an intake.

·
Going John Galt
31,844 Posts
Puckett said:
Any noticable power gains using the FIPK? I tell ya what, on four cyl. engines I really like the sound of a good intake over the sound of an exhaust. It wouldn't be justifiable to put on a kit like that just for the sound, there has to be a performance benefit though!

I have been looking at different filters and filter covers like the Outerwears covers that keep water out of cone and cylinder style cotton filters. A straight pipe with a filter and filter cover over the inner wheel well would be the way I go for an intake.
well, you can forget the 20hp that K&N advertizes, LOL. I got maybe 5-7 hp out of the header/FIPK combo. but it sure sound cool ;) I haven't had problems with water getting in the system but then I don't go looking for 4' mud holes ;)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts