TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 96 tacoma 2.7 auto. I have had the truck about four years now and my gas mileage has always been 15 to 16 mpg, It doesnt matter if im drag racing or cruising down the highway, :mad: it doesnt get any better or any worse. I have replaced both o2 sensors, had the injectors cleaned, cleaned the throttlebody and mass air sensor, The truck has a three inch lift, 31 mt's and 4.10 gears. can anyone with a simular truck tell me what kind of mpg's their getting? My buddys tundra gets the same mileage as mine. I have had it scanned numerous times, it doesnt show any codes and seems to run fine. If im gonna drive something that gets 15 mpg i might as well get a full size with a v8.

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
My 2.7 5-speed with 4.88s, 33s, and lots of extra weight in the form of armor, gear, etc. gets 15 mpg around town (elevation ~4,500 ft) and 19 mpg on the highway, cruising at 2700 to 3000 rpm.

·
Registered
518 Posts
When I had 31's I got 20-21, i have 35's and sas and I still get 17. I would check your cat and muffler- THey could very well be clogged and you not know it- that would drop your MPG to about 15 like your getting. :2cents:

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I got a blown 5vz on 33's and get 21 on the highway. You got problems I think

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
33's w/ 4.30s and I'm still gettin 20+ on the highway... maybe 17 around town, depending on how i drive...

·
Registered
33 Posts
2.7 w/ a MT, 3.58s, and 31x10.50's and I get 18-20 on the highway

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
If the milleage has been the same over the past 4 years, why the sudden concern?

You should try to check if your odometer is calibrated right. Maybe it's saying you're driving fewer miles than you really are, and resulting in a miscalculation in the figuring of your actual economy. Try driving on a measured 1 to 2 mile course and see how close your odometer reads to the actual distance traveled.

How about your spark plugs... are those new and properly gapped? Misgapped plugs can really screw up your economy. Also take a look at your tire inflation and make sure you're not severely underinflated. If you have heavy Mud Terrain tires, that will also kill your economy quite a bit.

I noticed that when I switched from 265/70/16 Bridgestone Dueler HT tires(37 pounds each and 30.4" diameter) to 275/70/16's in a Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo(43 pounds each and 31.3 inches in diameter), my fuel economy went down quite a bit.... and that was just a change from an highway terrain tire to an AT tire, nevermind to a Mud Terrain tire like you have.

Obviously your lift is going to hurt your economy too, on top of the fact that you've got an automatic transmission and your truck has a shitload of miles on it.

I'm getting about 19 to 21/22 MPG now that I have the bigger tires on my 5-speed regular cab 4x4. Out of curiousity, I'm going to be pulling my spark plugs this weekend and checking how much the gap has changed in the past 8K miles that I've had my new plugs in for, and regap them if necessary. I'd start out checking there first if I were you.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Stock 2003 2.7 auto...18 to 20 mpg consistantly, but with 4.56 gears (stock also) I'm at sea level, on flat land, though.

With your lift, MT tires, and 4.10s you don't sound too far off the mark.
Have you checked your odometer for accuracy? It's not unusual to be off a bit.

How wide are your tires? Big difference between 9.5s and 12.5s. Almost all the extra weight is in the tread, where it hurts efficiency most. ***EDIT: nevermind...I see you have 11.50s. That's not helping...

Your sig says 242K miles...like was said above, have the cat checked for restriction and operation (temp check, as well as O2 sensors).

What grade fuel (octane) do you run, and what is your altitude? (Just wondering, it may not matter.)

·
Registered
118 Posts
And partyman66 types too fast... :p

·
Registered
651 Posts
try some seafoam, injector cleaner, clean air filter, tire pressure, a/f sensor, switch to lighter AT tire. lighter rims?

·
Registered
553 Posts
I'm kinda havin' the same problem - I've got a 98' xtra cab, 3" lift, 30" Destination M/Ts... 2.7L engine, intake, exhaust, and a 5 speed... I used to get like 24 or so... now it's down at 18 or lower every time, regardless... I'm suspecting my exhaust manifold is cracked - might wanna have it checked cause that too will cause a sucky truck.. :D

·
Registered
83 Posts
Mpg

Don't feel pregnant or alone; I have have never got over 17 in the city and have had 4 different yotas (x2 4-runners and x2 trucks). All were 4x4 with two having a 4 bangers, a 3.0 and now a 3.4 V6. The only common thread has been aggressive MTs and toyota. It does not matter that I usually drive like an old fart or keep the maint up...I get crappy mpg.

Therefore I jumped over to Jeeps for awhile (hot in summer and cold in winter) and then to a full size chevy for the same reason you mentioned. After having the chevy 4x4 and all of the lift issues assoc with torsion bars...I came back to the yota a month or so ago. That chevy actually got 1 mpg better than my D Cab but the quality of the toyota brought me back. Plus the Chevy looks like a big plow the way they make even their Z71 low to the ground. Now...My son and I both have Tacos and my wife drives a corolla-s. Nothing holds value like a yota truck IMO.

I always check my mileage everytime I fill up hoping for another couple mpg but it never happens. I guess I will just deal with it.

Anyhooo, just my :2cents:

·
Registered
881 Posts
I've gotten that before when it had 3.58's, 31" AT's and a rack in the back driving cross country. Since then running 32" MT's, 4.30 gears and usually average around 19 mpg. Its not normal if you're driving gently, but it can happen.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I got a 95.5 5 spd 2.7, with 4.10 and 31" AT and I usually get 15 mpg. The most I ever got was 22 mpg on a 300 mile drive, all highway. Got a complete tune-up about 6 months ago when it was getting like a horrible 10 mpg, spark plugs completely corroded then. I plan to change the fuel filter, air filter again, and check the O2 sensors.

·
Registered
266 Posts
2.7 4.88s 33" MTs 15mpg
2.7 4.88s 33" MTs after replacing 1 intake valve and 4 exhaust valves 18mpg

I have a good amount of cargo though.. (extra bat / armor all around / high lift) etc...

·
Registered
279 Posts
2.7 5 speed 98k with 225's :( . And I only pull 17-18 while pussy footing it. :eek: I changed plugs, wires, regularily check tire PSI, air filter, seafoamed tank, and through PCV. Ran chevron injector cleaner, and cleaned throttlebody. Still only seeing same MPG, and idles a little rough too. I dont know what to do next. Also I can hear a slight exhaust leak if I get on it, near the manifold, so I think its starting to crack.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts