TTORA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 04' tacoma, with a 2.7 4cyl, i already have a cold air intake from K&N, but i'm stumpted on what to do next, i've been considering a flowmaster muffler and a jet chip, but ive read people say all different things about both. some say they cant tell a difference and some say they loose bottom end, which i dont want to do, installing a header would probably be my best bet, but i've been having a hard time find some for the 2.7, not to mention i think they would be a bitch to put in (you'll know what im talking about if you've seen the motor) so let me know of your experiences with these things and let me know of any other possible (affordable) engine hop ups, thanks.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I know what you mean about the header. The only ones I know of are the cheapo ones from Pacesetter (or something?) and Summit. NWOR has one, but it'll be more expensive.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Downey makes em- (*2 years b4 they crack*) and LC Engineering makes em, they are a bit pricey but are well worth it from what ive read- g/l

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I've got the 2.7 with the FIPK and a FM Delta 40. Didn't really see much in power gains, increase in sound, and increase in right foot!

Stay away from Chips, save that money towards re-gearing or Alpine's SC

·
Registered
114 Posts
T-A-C-O said:
I have an 04' tacoma, with a 2.7 4cyl, i already have a cold air intake from K&N, but i'm stumpted on what to do next, i've been considering a flowmaster muffler and a jet chip, but ive read people say all different things about both. some say they cant tell a difference and some say they loose bottom end, which i dont want to do, installing a header would probably be my best bet, but i've been having a hard time find some for the 2.7, not to mention i think they would be a bitch to put in (you'll know what im talking about if you've seen the motor) so let me know of your experiences with these things and let me know of any other possible (affordable) engine hop ups, thanks.
The '04s have a factory header,you wont improve much upon that.

·
The Satanic Panic
609 Posts
just leave it the way it is

·
Registered
278 Posts
Jet chips

Jet chips are total crap, Do a search on computer mods and you'll read it from others. Thereis a lot more to tunning you computer and other sensors.
The jet computer port plugin is a hunk of shit. all it dose is try and fool your MAF into leaning out the fuel air mix to get a few more basicaly un-noticable hp. What you end up with are a lean motor that either shoots lean codes or burns up pistons. You might be one of the lucky ones who's computer has gotten fryed by that thing. Save the money for gears like the man said.
That's a mod you'll feel and notice gains:welder:

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
exhaust is about all you can do that is bolt on. You can do cams, supercharger and all that good stuf

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
a supercharger is a little out my budget, and i'd like to leave the engine as reliable as possible, so cams are out, i'm just going to try a flowmaster muffler, because its cheap and easy enough, maybe a header, and i was going to regear anyways

·
Registered
114 Posts
Re-gear is your best bet.I have factory header and flowmaster exhaust,did not notice any power difference.But is pretty loud!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Magnaflow>Flowmaster.With Magnaflow you will probably actually see some power gains.It won't have the deeper tone of Flowmaster but Magnaflow is better for performance.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Yeah other than a muffler (which will only basically change the sound) thats it for the 2.7. There is just not any hp power to unlock with out going to a supercharger.

·
Registered
219 Posts
i have the same truck, '03 2.7 l pre-runner...does flowmaster even make an exhaust for that make and model? i know magnaflow does

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
I don't think they make a kit. I just went to the local muffler shop and had them weld mine on. About 85 bucks and 45 minutes and I was out the door, with a good sounding exhaust.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
i have the same truck, '03 2.7 l pre-runner...does flowmaster even make an exhaust for that make and model? i know magnaflow does
just weld in whatever ya get, i ordered a center in/center out, and got shipped a center in/offset out... fit just perfect... you'll need a lil extra pipe though...

·
Registered
65 Posts
hey i have a 2.7 (3rz) motor lc engineering has all your answers i have intake, throttle body spacer, msd plug wires( the factorys suck.also changed to better plugs) flomaster muffler to a custom prerunner turn down(copy of a lc engineering design), i also have one of ther ceramic coated headers now i plan to put a supercharger soon but so far i can pull and do anything with power to spare im running 33's and i like to get air with my rig so go to

lcengineering.com and look for anything for the 3rz motor

·
Registered
6 Posts
There are a few companies out there with products for our motors. Just get on a search engine and take a look around. I'm getting pretty bored with how plain my truck is, but I dunno if the i/h/e combo is worth it. It'll probably sound cool though and it'll satisfy my need to get something for my ride, but eh....who knows

1 - 17 of 17 Posts