TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys got a few questions for you, I've only had my 04 tacoma for a few weeks and the other day i removed the elbow, on the advice of a few members on the forum. I noticed an increase in power in the higher rpms (this is where the first question comes in), has anyone actually dyno'd the 2.7 with the elbow mod, and or the airbox mod? I know gadget dyno'd the 3.4 and it increased fairly decently for the mod being free.
Another thing was as I was searching through the forums and soemone referenced that the 2.7 airbox will swap right out for the 3.4 airbox, with little modification, how true is this? And if it will swap out does anyone have a 3.4 airbox they took out to put in a K&N or similar, that they would give or sell to me?

·
Banned
966 Posts
DZagales said:
Alright guys got a few questions for you, I've only had my 04 tacoma for a few weeks and the other day i removed the elbow, on the advice of a few members on the forum. I noticed an increase in power in the higher rpms (this is where the first question comes in), has anyone actually dyno'd the 2.7 with the elbow mod, and or the airbox mod? I know gadget dyno'd the 3.4 and it increased fairly decently for the mod being free.
Another thing was as I was searching through the forums and soemone referenced that the 2.7 airbox will swap right out for the 3.4 airbox, with little modification, how true is this? And if it will swap out does anyone have a 3.4 airbox they took out to put in a K&N or similar, that they would give or sell to me?
the mod is good for about 0.3HP and about 1ft-lb torq

but heck, somethings better than nothing

·
Big tars, little bed.
8,407 Posts
I wouldnt bother with the airbox swap. Done the deck plate mod?

·
Registered
533 Posts
I Didn't see any dyno results for the 2.7 when I researched the Deck Plate Mod. I recently did a 4" D/P on my 2.7 and I'm glad I did. It is not a substantial horse power gain, so don't expect neck breaking results. What I noticed is that the motor is more responsive, like it has more initiative to spool up right when you get on the gas. I think this mod gets mixed results because of different driving styles. I'm happy with it because I drive my truck like a rally car and now I have a better throttle response. If you are slow on the gas and think this mod is going to have a major HP increase then you will be disapointed. It does seem that there is a nominal hp gain at WOT. I drive over the continental divide everyday for work and noticed that I carry an extra 2 or 3 mph now.

Doing the deck plate mod felt very similar to when I changed out my original spark plugs at 60,000miles and replaced my dirty air filter, and cleaned my MAF, intake and throttle body. The increased noise is very minor btw. And don't worry about sealing everything up unless you plan on doing it to the whole airbox assembly and adding a snorkel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Only reason I was thinking about swapping airboxes was because it seams a little easier to do the deckplate mod with the 3.4 box as apposed to the 2.7 box, however I have seen it done on the 2.7.

So it is worth it you think to go ahead and do the deckplate mod with the 2.7? Just for the increased throttle response.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Its worth doing, just don't expect a major difference or you'll be disapointed.

I placed the D/P high and to the passenger side on my box to get it away from the wiper fluid jug. The ridges aren't too bad to deal with because the deck plate housing extends through the box by a 1/2" I used a dremel with a cutting ball to cut/melt mine out. If you use silicone, make sure its sensor safe. Auto zone has it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts