TTORA Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I searched and found that the intake on my 04 Taco needs to come off to get to plugs 2 and 3 (seems like a PITA). While feeling under the intake box I found 4 bolts...2 vertical that feel more like nuts in the center of the underside of the plate and then 2 12mm bolts that are horzontal into the engine. It's the 2 horizontals that need to be pulled to get the intake off correct?
Also, I just turned 30k on the truck a couple weeks ago and was curious on the newer Toyota four bangers, how often should the plugs be changed (stock Denso plugs)? As close to every 30k as possible or can you let them go a bit longer? I want to keep up on the maintenance, I just don't want to pull the intake till I have to. I pulled the #1 plug and it looked great...no oil, clean and little wear (I think the plugs are stock, but I don't know as I just bought the truck last month at 29k on it). Any suggestions? Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
The air intake is actually pretty easy to get off when you know what to look for. Remove the 2 nuts underneath that metal plate that you were talking about which are vertical(perpendicular to the ground). Those 2 bolts simply attach to the 2 studs that come from the bottom of the intake pipe and hold it to the motor. Then just loosen the 2 hose clamps that hold the pipe to the motor and airbox(one on the end of the Throttle body, and the other on the end of the Airbox), unclip the wire that is attached to the pipe, and lift it up and away from the engine. If I remember correctly, those 2 nuts are 9 or 10 MM. I'm not sure what other 2 bolts you said that you had felt 4 down there, but you should only be removing the 2 underneath that metal plate.

I went with stock plugs when I changed mine about a year ago. I actually just checked the gap on my plugs last weekend after having put about 10K miles on the new plugs that I initially gapped to .043 when I put them in a year ago. The front 2 plugs needed to be regapped, because they had worn down to a gap of about .48 or so... but the rear 2 were fine and still at .043. I found that strange, and hope it's not a sign of uneven comression in the front 2 cylinders or something like that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, thanks for the ideas. I thought the 2 verticals might just hold the box to that plate...I'll try those first. The other 2 have a 12mm head and go into the engine. I think removing them would allow the box and plate to be removed as one piece. I think separating the box from the plate would probably be easier...especially if they are just nuts and the bolts from the box are like locating studs. Prolly have to wait till next weekend now, but I give 'er a whirl. :cool:

·
Registered
871 Posts
Look at the very top of the plug, if it has a plus sign or a percent symbol or some other marking on it, then the plug is original. Look at the factory replacement plugs, no symbol. And you don't need to gap the plugs. (As long as they are factory replacements)

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
And you don't need to gap the plugs. (As long as they are factory replacements)
I believe you still do have to gap them. I bought the OEM Densos about a year ago and they came pregapped at .025, with the factory recommendation being .043. Won't hurt to double check them anyways with a feeler gauge before you put them in, just for the sake of sanity and the peace of mind in knowing that they are right.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
The FSM says to gap the 2.7L plugs at 0.8 MM/0.031 in. Thats for DENSO K16R-U11 and NGK BKR5EYA-U

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
The FSM says to gap the 2.7L plugs at 0.8 MM/0.031 in. Thats for DENSO K16R-U11 and NGK BKR5EYA-U
I went by the recommndations in my owners manual, which said .043".... my truck being a 2001 2.7.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your guys help. I'm just getting back into having a Toyota after about 11 years (86 4Runner I should a hung on to), so all your input and tips are appreciated. :D

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I went by the recommndations in my owners manual, which said .043".... my truck being a 2001 2.7.
No problem bro. I just had time to look up the FSM (factory service manual) and that's what it said. Everything is cool?

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
No problem bro. I just had time to look up the FSM (factory service manual) and that's what it said. Everything is cool?
Haha... everything is fine. I'm not trying to start an argument or anything if that's what it looked like. :D

That is odd though about the gap... the link that you posted to the FSM actually conflicts with another section of the same exact FSM, where it recommends .043 for the 2rz/3rz motor:

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/2003/Repair_Manual/03tacoma/ss/ig2rzfe3/serdat.pdf

Here's the one that it conflicts with, that you linked to:

http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/2003/Repair_Manual/03tacoma/ig2rzfe3/ignsy/ovi.pdf

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Got to love the FSM's? Your cool in my book. Catch ya on the trail one day?

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts