TTORA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 4x4 2.7 and im thinking about going with a supercharger. Im planning to regear the truck in the future and im thinking about going with 4.88's.Will this gear set be too low for a supercharged engine? How much more power can I expect from a trd supercharger? Will I even need to regear the truck? Im planning on running 33's and this truck is my daily driver so I would like to get the best gas mileage possible with decent power output. Are there any known problems associated with supercharging a 2.7? Any info would be greatly apprieciated.

·
Registered
717 Posts
with an auto you should be fine with 4.88s and 33s. buddy of mine had 4.88s and 33s on his 2.7 and they worked great.

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
Too much gear for a supercharged 2.7 on only 33s. I'm on 33s with 4.88s and a stock 2.7 and it's too much gear for highway travel. Even around town I run through 1st gear like it's not there and 2nd gear is only good for about 25 mph before the RPM gets above 3,000.

4.56s would likely be better with a S/C 2.7 on 33s.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'd stay with my stock 4.30's if I was getting a super for my 2.7. I personally wouldn't go lower than 4.56's at all unless I was going to spend all my time off road crawling around.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have 4.10's right now, i wish I had 4.30's. My truck is an auto. what rpms @ 65 would i be runnig with 4.88's vs 4.56's. If the stock 4.10's will work decent with the s/c i wouldnt mind keeping them. anyone know what kind of torque and hp gains i can expect with the trd supercharger?

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
knuckleduster271 said:
I have 4.10's right now, i wish I had 4.30's. My truck is an auto. what rpms @ 65 would i be runnig with 4.88's vs 4.56's. If the stock 4.10's will work decent with the s/c i wouldnt mind keeping them. anyone know what kind of torque and hp gains i can expect with the trd supercharger?

expect to be at or above a stock 3.4 for sure. Depending on what fuel mods you do of course... Or so I've read :p

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I'm thinking about doing the same thing. I've got 4.88's going in and I'm going to be running 33x10.50's. It should put me at about 3,000 rpm's at 70 mph. I think that's about perfect. I have read that the 2.7L was designed around 3,000 rpm as it's most stable, efficient zone. I rarely drive much faster than 70 for too long.
With the supercharger 4.56's will probably be perfect for 33's, but what if you decide to go to 34's?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
ljschnel said:
It should put me at about 3,000 rpm's at 70 mph. I think that's about perfect. I have read that the 2.7L was designed around 3,000 rpm as it's most stable, efficient zone.
Is that true? Anybody else with the same opinion? :confused:

I was wondering about the same since the other day i heard from somebody that the 2.7 engine actually performs better at higher rpms.

This is very interesting.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
It's been hashed over before on here. I really don't believe that the 2.7L gives any better mileage when it's bogged down which mine is till it hits 2,500 rpm's or so. There's a thread called "rpm's and shifting" or something like that that goes over the arguements.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
contact Nuke as he has the 2.7 SC and has gone through varrious gearings from the originals.

remember, the gen 3 and some later gen2 2.7 4x4s came with 4.30s/31" tires with the 5sp and 4.56s/31s with the AT. So, if you go to 33s with either tranny you'll need to go up the next ratio to get back to "stock" gearing. Ie, 4.56s/33s/5sp and 4.88s/33s/AT.

but, with the 50hp the SC will add I would tend to drop down a ratio from the above. So, in your case, 4.56s/33s with the blower.

but, check with Nuke for probably more information than you'd ever want, LOL

·
Registered
906 Posts
City driving and highway driving are two different animals. It is true that the 3RZ reaches its peak power above 3,000 RPMs but cruising at this high of RPMs on the highway will be detrimental to gas mileage.

For what it's worth, I am running stock 4.56s on my 3RZ with a header, aftermarket muffler and deckplate. I have 33x12.50 tires on steel wheels and I'm perfectly happy with this combination. Definately don't go lower than 4.56 with that blower. If I recall correctly, I am running about 2400 RPMs @ 70MPH.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
nilson said:
City driving and highway driving are two different animals. It is true that the 3RZ reaches its peak power above 3,000 RPMs but cruising at this high of RPMs on the highway will be detrimental to gas mileage.
mainly 'cuz these trucks have the aerodynamics of a brick ;)

·
Registered
499 Posts
well I guess good mpg is a perspective. I run a 2.7 with 4.88 an 255/85 which is a 33" tire. I am getting between 16 and 20 mpg on the highway depending on terrain and load. When the road is flat I get 20 on average. I cruise comfortably about 75 mph. And that was loaded to the hilt with 2 weeks gear tools, parts, and 4 sceptor cans and stuff for a trip to baja.

I thought that was good for a loaded and modified truck of any kind. Hell I thought that would be good for a stock 4wd truck LOL!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
11 Participants
Nullifier
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing