TTORA Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to the local toyota dealership today. I noticed that out in the front on the rocks they had a 2003 Tacoma 4x4 std cab with a 2.7l running with a 3" cornfed and 3"body lift. The part that shocked me the most was that it was sitting on 35" All Terrain WITHOUT regearing :eek: !!!! 2003 Tacoma Thats the link.... Is that possible with out engine damage and regearing to run that size tires? Correct me if im wrong but i run 32's with my 2.7l 98tacoma and it seems to dog down a bit.... anyone runnin bigger than 32"s with a 2.7l??
The reason i ask is because i wanna run bigger tires but i thought i needed to regear... and wat size gears would u recommend?

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Ripcurlsurfin96 said:
Went to the local toyota dealership today. I noticed that out in the front on the rocks they had a 2003 Tacoma 4x4 std cab with a 2.7l running with a 3" cornfed and 3"body lift. The part that shocked me the most was that it was sitting on 35" All Terrain WITHOUT regearing :eek: !!!! 2003 Tacoma Thats the link.... Is that possible with out engine damage and regearing to run that size tires? Correct me if im wrong but i run 32's with my 2.7l 98tacoma and it seems to dog down a bit.... anyone runnin bigger than 32"s with a 2.7l??
The reason i ask is because i wanna run bigger tires but i thought i needed to regear... and wat size gears would u recommend?

My friend runs 33x10.50s on his 2.7 with stock gears (4.30) and it does just fine. Those 35s would be pretty painful though. If you're going 33s with the 2.7, go 4.56s if you are doing a lot of highway driving, and 4.88s if you are doing more offroading/city driving.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I ran 285/75-16s with my 2.7L (4.30 gears) for about a year...it really wasn't that bad

·
Registered
670 Posts
I have a 1998 Tacoma with 2.5 inch Cornbred and 2 inch body lift and Run 33 x12.50 Thornbirds. I didnt re-gear and my truck doesnt grunt at all, i just dont use 5th gear like I normally do. My Truck: http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/602211

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok well i decided to regear.... now my question is im pretty sure im going with 4.88 in the rear so do i go with the same in the front? Also who would yall recommend buying gears from. 4.88 turn 35" allterrain?

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Ripcurlsurfin96 said:
Ok well i decided to regear.... now my question is im pretty sure im going with 4.88 in the rear so do i go with the same in the front? Also who would yall recommend buying gears from. 4.88 turn 35" allterrain?
Yes do the same ratios front to back if you plan on using 4wd :D 4.88s and 35s on the 2.7 will be good, especially for highway driving. As for brands, precision gear seems to be one of the favored brands (I have them), Yukon is also another one, and a little cheaper I believe. I would stay away from Genuine Gear, some concerns about their quality have come up time to time.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I have 33x12.5's w/my 2.7l and geared to 4.88 and sit a lil high for highway driving on rpm's but around town and on the trails have great power.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Well man I have a 95.5 tacoma excab 2.7L auto. You would think an auto would be bad but it actually has worked good for me i ran 35x14.50x15 baja belteds on 15x10's with stock gears. I just didnt use overdrive and everything was good. I went to 36" tsl radials and then decided to swap to 5.29's. I love the 5.29's awesome gears tons of getup and good on the highway. I run 2,700 rpm's at 80mph with 36" tsl radials with 12" of lift. I run 5,000 rpm's at 90mph out of overdrive. Just ordered my 38's and I have no doubt that the 2.7L can handle them. 33's I would say 4.88's you will love the getup and pulling power and will be ok on the interstate.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Ripcurlsurfin96 said:

ive ordered from reider racing twice and both times they shipped really quick. i think their pricing was pretty decent as well...
http://www.reiderracing.com/

·
Registered
296 Posts
i'm going on a year and a half with 33's and the 2.7 without regearing. It's fine until you get on the e-way

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry still tryin to get a clue on what i need... ok i decided on precission 4.88 front and rear gears.... I am asumming that i need a install kit. Will i need an install kit for the front too? and if anyone could list EVERY item i need to get i would really appreciate it ( i have a mechanic who is gonna put it in for me)

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
You will need master install kits... You need to order from PORC. They have better prices and service if can beat there price they will match it or beat it. I have 35s w/ my 2.7 and 4:88 gears and it does fine.

You will need front and rear gears (Yukon or PG) and install master install kits for both diffs(Yukon kits are better than PG ones, Better parts and are complete) Order from link below.

www.performanceoffroadcenter.com Talk to Alex or Bobby and tell them you are with TTORA

1 - 12 of 12 Posts