TTORA Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently my 99 2.7 Tacoma's exhaust manifold cracked in two between cyl's 2 and 3. Everyone says that this is a common problem for the 2.7. The best price that I could get on a new Toyota manifold was $202 (with my buddys super discount), and I couldn't find a used one at all.

Then a fellow at one of our local wrecking yards told me about "Bishop's International" in Dallas (214-943-1101). I called them and they said they had a "new" one for $55. Needless to say I was skeptical, but he said it was cast iron and he sells about 5 of them a week, so I went down and bought one. It is cobbier looking than the slick 12 lb. stock one and weighs 20 lbs. with it's own heat shield. Those extra 8 lbs are solid cast iron. I don't think this puppy is gonna crack.

I'm gonna to try to put it on tonight, and I'll let you know how that goes later.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
It is cobbier looking than the slick 12 lb. stock one and weighs 20 lbs. quote]

What the he11 is "cobbier looking"; :confused: is that a fancy way of saying stout looking? LOL! :D post some pics of it before you install and after.

GL!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It went on just like the original, and everything is workin.
Cobbier....... well, do you know what a corn cob looks like when you are finished?:)
I don't know how to post pics.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
What the he11 is "cobbier looking"; :confused: is that a fancy way of saying stout looking? LOL! :D post some pics of it before you install and after.

GL!
Then younguns and their newfangled words!! :p

I was wondering a bit myself, but it makes sense, even if not strictly. You mean like a honeycomb pattern?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This 63 year old "youngun" might have made it up (I don't remember) but I've been using it with good results all of my life.:confused: :)
It is really not that bad....it's just a rougher casting than the original.

·
Registered
473 Posts
yeah

I replaced the manifold in my 2.7 with something similar, if not the same thing. Got it off eBay for about $60. It was much heavier, and pretty rough looking, all business. I ran it for I wanna say about 30K miles with nary a problem before I sold the truck. Sure was nice to get rid of that crappy "Jeep" sound. You shouldn't have a problem with it.
-Dan

·
Old School
938 Posts
Recently my 99 2.7 Tacoma's exhaust manifold cracked in two between cyl's 2 and 3. Everyone says that this is a common problem for the 2.7.
I am just curious, are we talking about right up where the manifold bolts to the engine or further down closer to the cat ? Mine cracked on a wheelin trip not too long after I got the truck (withing a yr, maybe 2) Mine cracked right above the area where the manifold meets the cat area. I just replaced it with a stock one. Wonder if this is something I need to worry about happening again. Would like the aftermarket setup eventually...

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
I am just curious, are we talking about right up where the manifold bolts to the engine or further down closer to the cat ? Mine cracked on a wheelin trip not too long after I got the truck (withing a yr, maybe 2) Mine cracked right above the area where the manifold meets the cat area. I just replaced it with a stock one. Wonder if this is something I need to worry about happening again. Would like the aftermarket setup eventually...
They usually crack close to where it bolts to the engine, right in between the #2 and #3 cylinders. I hadn't heard of one cracking close to the cat, though, til now. If you go aftermarket, you can't go wrong with the LC Engineering one. That's what I had on my 99 2.7L Prerunner before I wrecked it. It never rusted or discolored, either, even after about 40K-50K miles of use.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts