TTORA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After a somewhat long wait, I finally took shipment of an Outlaw intake for my 03 2.7L 4wd Taco. Keep in mind that I'm writing this with Joe Shmoe in mind, If your a master welder and fabricator, don't bother reading.

I'm not too much of a mechanical person - I can do a car stereo...wire in a amp, My friend and I did my spring packs... I'd say my Automotive skill ranks somewhere between your older sister, and the 15 year old zit faced freshmen pumping gas at the local service station. :D

The removal of the OE intake stuff was pretty straight forward. The instructions were comprehensive enough so I could navigate my way through with very little problems... The only snag was the instructions did not mention this clip holding the MAF wire loom behind the resonator tube.

Here's a shot for NorcalPR... The inside of my fender looks like the pic you posted up. No weird bumps or indentations or anything. Those blasted wires and big ass harness will come back and bite me in the ass later in the install though.

Now that all the stock sh!t is out, it's time to put in the Outlaw sh!t. Again, the instructions are pretty straight forward - here's my :2cents: that may save you some time...

Test fit the air cleaner box, note where it "comes close" (read comes into contact) with the upper radiator hose... wrap the hose with the supplied wrap BEFORE you screw the box down... it'll be damn near impossible once the box is bolted down.

It's a good idea to trim the sharp corners off of the wrap too... It's a little sharp, and you don't want it to rub a hole in your hose...

The throttle body rubber coupler is a friggen pain in the ass to get on per the instructions. I slid it on first, and slowly finaggled the other end on - working my way down to the intake box - and i did not have to disconnect my throttle linkage like how the instructions suggest.

It kinda concerns me how tight the couplers are... you know its never a good thing when the rubber breaks. :)

That's pretty much the install... connect up the vaccum lines and you're done. I did run into a little problem with the mounting of my air box early on, it seems I either screwed up the threads while taking the stock bolt out (unlikely, but it could happen... remember my skill level?), or the supplied bolt is the wrong thread size (I held the OE bolt and the Outlaw bolt next to each other, by my eyeball, they look a little off). no biggie though, I watch American Choppers and I know my way around metal. I fabbed this little bracket up and bolted it to the inside of my fender using a existing threaded hole.

Note that it is not bolted to the box... my cordless drill ran out of batteries. I'll get to that when it's charged up.

The only other concern I have is the airbox is smashing up against the upper radiator hose. Outlaw does supply a hard plastic loom, but I am afraid that given enough time and vibration it will eventually rub through. I also noticed that because the hose gets so hot, the heat is radiated/transferred to the box. The airbox was warm to the touch in the area surrounding where the hose is in contact.

Anywho, here's what it looks like...

Would I buy this product again? Yup.

Would I recommend it to a friend? Not sure yet... I'm going to drive it for a week or so, see what kind of gas milage I get and make up my mind then.

So here's the basic run down...

PRO's
Affordable (but not cheaply made).
Fit/Finish - Pretty good
So easy, a caveman could do it.
Not blingy
Quiet - No ricey noise
No Oil filter -No worries about F'ing up MAF
Pulls cold air, not hot engine compartment air!
Customer service is really good - TTORA sponsor!

CON's
Does not seal up to the fender - I don't need it water tight, but that damn OE plug and wires interfere with it sitting flush.
Box rests up against radiator hose.

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
The threads are not the same. I broke off the square nut to fit mu bolt through...

so you are a non-trd and it's not sealing?

Seems like Outlaw needs to redesign for 01 and up. Either tht or it never sealed.

Pop off the clips for the wires and shove um down too. Seems like this is only relevant to 01 and up...

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
Also, remove the elbow. Thats why it's fitting like shit.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
What's the point? Looks just like my stock intake except it will suck water...

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What's the point? Looks just like my stock intake except it will suck water...
uh... i'm pretty sure that the only time it'll suck water is when your stock intake will suck water too. they both "suck" from the same place.

·
Registered
98 Posts
uh... i'm pretty sure that the only time it'll suck water is when your stock intake will suck water too. they both "suck" from the same place.
i am a little confused by this also. isn't this the same thing as the stock intake except that the Outlaw intake has a bigger opening for more air to come in?:confused:

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
i am a little confused by this also. isn't this the same thing as the stock intake except that the Outlaw intake has a bigger opening for more air to come in?:confused:
Less restrictive air filter, and tubing...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Less restrictive air filter, and tubing...
See I just don't get it. I'm not knocking a guy wanting to improve performance on their engine. I'm just amazed at how a company will design a Cold Air Intake" pretty much EXACTLY like the stock, preexisting cold air intake. Yes, I said it. The stock setup is already a CAI.

Even if the tubing was less restrictive (read larger in diameter) from the box up, the throttle body opening isn't any larger.

Elbow mod and done.

Again, I think Toyota did their homework on the stock intake and aftermarket improvements just aren't there. It seems like a predatory market because on so many other engines, yes, an aftermarket CAI does improve performance. It just doesn't happen here.

·
Premium Member
12,213 Posts
See I just don't get it. I'm not knocking a guy wanting to improve performance on their engine. I'm just amazed at how a company will design a Cold Air Intake" pretty much EXACTLY like the stock, preexisting cold air intake. Yes, I said it. The stock setup is already a CAI.

Even if the tubing was less restrictive (read larger in diameter) from the box up, the throttle body opening isn't any larger.

Elbow mod and done.

Again, I think Toyota did their homework on the stock intake and aftermarket improvements just aren't there. It seems like a predatory market because on so many other engines, yes, an aftermarket CAI does improve performance. It just doesn't happen here.
If you look on my post concerning the Outlaw vs deckplate vs stock, the Outlaw does increase MPG which = more hp...

Unless you do something custom, any box is going to pull from the stock location. I don't really see why it's such a problem where it pulls from, but instead it's how it gets there...

Also, Toyota designed thier intake with quietness in mind, but while achieving the msot poswer they can but still having it quiet. I don't think an aftermarkets goal is to have the same thing.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Elbow mod and done.

Agreed. Toyota did do their homework. There designers had both performance, noise, and budget to keep in mind. Given those three things, they did a great job in designing an intake.

The throttle body is not any larger, but it could be pretty safe to assume that the stock tubing with all its ribbing, resonators, and such (designed for quiet, made with budget) ends up making the air more turbulant than what it could be. Replace with a smoother, straighter route, and you end up with happier air :D .

What sold me on this intake was the reusable "no-oil" cone type filter. With this application, I'd have the benefits of a high flow cone type filter AND have it draw air from the cool OE location (not just laying out in the engine bay). I'm pretty sure we both can agree that the OE filter is the most restrictive part of the whole deal.

This is the first intake system I've ever bought and installed... I always thought these were a waste of time and $. This system does look a bit promising though (for the above reasons). I'm not expecting 10hp gains, but I do expect a small bump in mpg AND now i get to clean and reuse my filter whenever I want.

I'll be removing the elbow and tucking some wires to see if it will help with the seal up against the fender and aleviate some of the contact with the radiator hose this afternoon when I'm finished with work (and into my first or second Miller Lite) :eek:

~aloha~

·
Registered
138 Posts
Outlaw Intake Freeway mileage at 65: 15.8 MPG
Deckplate Plugged w/Elbow Mod @ 65: 15.4 MPG
I just went back and read the post again. Your research did result in a gain of .4 MPG. I think that would be considered negligible even to the IRS.

Man, i am not knocking you guys at all. If it weren't for you, who would even know these numbers. I appreciate you all being the pioneers of these systems.

I get frustrated with the companies making these products. They know they're not worth it, but the prey on those of us looking for gains.

-Jeff

·
Registered
138 Posts
What sold me on this intake was the reusable "no-oil" cone type filter. With this application, I'd have the benefits of a high flow cone type filter AND have it draw air from the cool OE location (not just laying out in the engine bay). I'm pretty sure we both can agree that the OE filter is the most restrictive part of the whole deal.
Preface: PLEASE let's not turn this thread into a filter debate. So with that said, regarding your point, if that was your driving motiviation, couldn't you have just replaced the panel filter with a reusable - no oil filter in conjunction with the free elbow mod?

Please do not take this the wrong way. I am in no way trying to be rude. I'm just trying to show people that these aftermarket intakes for us are not what they're cracked up to be.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Preface: PLEASE let's not turn this thread into a filter debate. So with that said, regarding your point, if that was your driving motiviation, couldn't you have just replaced the panel filter with a reusable - no oil filter in conjunction with the free elbow mod?

Please do not take this the wrong way. I am in no way trying to be rude. I'm just trying to show people that these aftermarket intakes for us are not what they're cracked up to be.
Point taken. I am not looking for a debate either. The purpose/intent of this thread was a simple install write-up about this particular product offered by one of the newest sponsors of this board - nothing more, nothing less...

I'm hearing that you do have important and relavant points about these systems in general - and yeah, I agree that these things should be shared on forums such as these. However, I humbly ask if you could start a NEW thread exclusively for this discussion. I do not want this write-up to be a catalyst for debate on ideas/principle/theory of the $ spent on intakes.

~aloha~

·
Registered
62 Posts
ainokea,
Keep up the great work and keep us posted on how the drivability and mpg improvements go. Thanks for the very thorough reveiw!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ainokea,
Keep up the great work and keep us posted on how the drivability and mpg improvements go. Thanks for the very thorough reveiw!
Thanks!
I came home from work today, took the airbox out, and followed the recommendations NorcalPR posted. I removed the elbow, cut the ties off of the wires and kinda shoved them down a bit lower. The box fit better, but still not "just right".

Being that it was my first intake, when i installed the rubber couplers, I just shoved'um in as far as it could go (and then some). As I was standing around scratching my head, I realized there is some (but not much) adjustment to be had in those couplers. i loosened them all up, re-adjuted a bit, and presto! box and MAF just clears the radiator hose, and it sits much closer to the hole on the fender - granted it is not a tight seal, but eh, close enough. In fact, I kind of like the little gap there now that the elbow is removed... the threat of water being sucked up kinda worries me.... I think I'll drive around like that for a bit, and maybe put that elbow back in there for piece of mind.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
~update~
first visit to the gas station this morning.
i've consistently been getting 19 mpg (uncorrected) on my tacoma 2.7L reg cab 4.30's with 265 75 16 bfg mt's.

by my numbers, my mpg jumped up to 22 mpg (again, uncorrected). same route to work - driving just the same (maybe giving it a bit more gas if anything).

i do notice that i no longer have to dump it in 4th while driving up the inclines that i'd have to downshift on pre-intake. i can actually accelerate in 5th going up those same inclines now.

3 mpg is way more than what i was expecting... we're talking about a 14% gain here. keep in mind, this is just one week's worth (roughly 200miles) by my math, if i just drive my truck to and from work, i'm saving about 5 bucks per week.

200miles @ 19mpg (what i used to get) = 10.5 gallons

200miles @ 22mpg (what i get now) = 9.1 gallons

1 gallon = $3.48 so, i save about $5.22 a week

again, this is very non scientific, and it is based on my first week w/ the intake. i am very impressed by it so far. i've never had any other intake, nor did any of the cheap tricks (elbow mod, deckplate mod) so i have nothing to compare it to.

~aloha~

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thanks for the update.

Whenever I do mods, I track the mileage too. For bolt-ons, whenever I have noticed and increase in power and torque, I have also noted a slight improvement in mileage averaged over a few tanks. I get a steady average after about 3 or 4 tanks, about 1 month worth of driving for me.

Keep the updates coming!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts