TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Under hard acceleration, at what rpm does your truck feel the strongest?

On mine, stock it would pull hard up to about 3750 rpms at which point it felt like a waste to go any further in the tach. The truck just felt like it died after that.

I just want to see if other people's 2.7L felt the same.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
i'd say 3500-3900 after that it makes more noise but seems to lose power. I'm getting exhasut on today though so we'll see if that changes.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I would have to say that between 3250 and 3750 would have to be correct. I know once it's up that high and you shift the power remains mostly constant. I have never had a problem accelerating in traffic accept for that initial get up in first.

I would have to agree with you though. I have noticed better acceleration now that I added the k&n filter. I hope to see a little more once I add the deckplate. I should have that and my muffler this weekend.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
p.s. i have a k&n FIPK, dont know if that changes it much :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
My truck used to accelerate pretty quick (for a 2.7) to about 92 with the 31's in fifth gear. With my new 32's I can only get it to go to about 85 or 87 in fifth gear and then it stops. I think headers and exhaust might help out a little bit, but I am a poor college student so that is out of my budget for now. The k&n drop in helped a little bit.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Ah the wonders of engine mods. First one day i submerged the front end of my truck and cracked my exhaust manifold. Damn, now i had an excuse to get a header. I went with a downey header despite the negative rap. About a year later, I was fortunate enough to score a borla cat-back exhaust for my 2.7 at a local foreign parts store after borla discontinued production of it. Lastly, I scored a good deal on an Ingine intake a few months afterward.

When i first installed the header without the cat-back i noticed considerable low end torque and more power throughout the power band. After i installed the cat-back, again more low end torque and the power felt strong all they way through 4krpm. Finally, when i installed the intake, i notice another gain in top end power. Now i feel a good pull all they way into 4krpm with much torque around 2500 to 3500 rpm. I'm rolling on 31's and when i'm on the getting onto the highway and downshift into third to get up to 75-80 quick, my truck response quite nice. While at highway speeds and in 5th my truck has good trottle response and pick up.

I still run the stock plugs and wires. Although i am anal about cleaning my trottlebody with every oil change i'm not sure if that is indicative of better power.

·
Registered
485 Posts
On my 2.7l I have a downey header w/ a magnaflow muffler, ngk plugs/wires, deckplate w/ k&n, 4.56 gears w/ 33x1250 bfg muds and it accelerates very quickly. Nothing compared to my 350+hp galant vr4, but for a truck its basically all I want. I can get up to freeway speeds quickly, and not be left behind. Its got great throttle response and enough 'oomph' to keep me happy. Pulls great to 4000rpm :D

·
Registered
89 Posts
My truck pulls well till about 3700 RPM,it seems to rev up a LITTLE faster with a drop in K+N and a short Turbo muffler(short exaust exits before rear tire).Reving above 4000RPM on the 2.7 seems like it will just shorten engine life.I usually shift up between 2800 RPM and 3300 RPM.I have 3:58 gears and 30 inch AT's.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
akshunj said:
Under hard acceleration, at what rpm does your truck feel the strongest?

On mine, stock it would pull hard up to about 3750 rpms at which point it felt like a waste to go any further in the tach. The truck just felt like it died after that.

I just want to see if other people's 2.7L felt the same.
as soon as this darn rain stops I'll let you know, LOL

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
drinkintedbr said:
My truck used to accelerate pretty quick (for a 2.7) to about 92 with the 31's in fifth gear. With my new 32's I can only get it to go to about 85 or 87 in fifth gear and then it stops. I think headers and exhaust might help out a little bit, but I am a poor college student so that is out of my budget for now. The k&n drop in helped a little bit.
new gears are your friend ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts