TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 240K miles I am pretty sure I have a cracked head in my 95 Tacoma. I am getting a PO301 code. Coolant reservoir was empty. Rough Idle on start up. Replaced plugs, wires, IACV and CTS. Previously replaced MAF and EGR last year for smog. Cleared code two weeks ago and it came back today. No coolant in oil and no noticeable white smoke at start up. I have not ran compression but it was low at 206K at 180, 160, 160, 180. I figure a hair line crack leaks just a little coolant when cold and seals up when it gets hot. Looking for motor recommendations. Should I go new or JDM? If I go JDM, I am having a hard time finding a 8 port head w/ distributer. I called a supplier and they said I could hook my 8 port manifold to a 4 port head? Is that true?

·
Administrator
18,257 Posts
You'll need the 8 port distributor head if you want a direct swap. 4 port heads don't have the distributor provision and the 8 port manifolds don't fit. The engines will be hard to find, but they should be out there. I think you can also get aftermarket heads with the 8 port / distributor setup, but not 100% sure on that.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't think a 8 port would fit a 4 port.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I saw that on Rising Sun. It has definitely been pretty frustrating trying to find a match to my motor with a decent warranty at a fair price. I would go with a JDM if I could find a 8 port head. Jasper doesn't rebuild them. APR Auto doesn't have the best reviews on the Toyota blogs. So far the best motor is from the Yota shop in WA but it is $3K. I had 2 local shops decline to do an R&R and one who said the starting price would be $1700. I got a pinched nerve in my neck that I have been battling for a year now and I know if I do it myself it will be 2 months of PT and an injection. So DIY is out of the question now. I finally got a hold of a shop in Thousand Oaks with good reviews (Rick's Japanese Auto Repair). He said let's put a bullet proof head on it and a new chain and tensioners ( if it needs it) and run it. He said he has the same truck and engine with over 500K and he runs it hard and all he did so far is replace the head and tensioners. He said the bottom end is bullet proof. I am going to go that route and hopefully I may make the Big Bear run:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts