TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the Average Clutch Life out of a Tacoma with a 2.7L?¿?¿?

·
The Satanic Panic
609 Posts
varies in my opinion, and driver for me i had 50,000 on one, 30,000 on another

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
stock clutch

StemsCornfedTaco said:
Whats the Average Clutch Life out of a Tacoma with a 2.7L?¿?¿?
I got about 130k outta mine! I think Tyler aka Showstop is still on his stock clutch after like 200k, I could be wrong on that though. Peace, Wes

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
200K WOW, I have 85,000 on mine. Sometimes it shifts hard like it doesnt want to go into gear, and other times it shifts fine. What should I do?

·
The Satanic Panic
609 Posts
geez and i thought 50,000 was good :lmao:

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
clutch

StemsCornfedTaco said:
200K WOW, I have 85,000 on mine. Sometimes it shifts hard like it doesnt want to go into gear, and other times it shifts fine. What should I do?
A good clutch should last at least 100-125k miles, if not more. If you're already due for a new 1, you might wanna re-think the way you drive it and start drivin it more like an old man, lol! Peace, Wes

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
clutch

tanKoma said:
geez and i thought 50,000 was good :lmao:
honestly, 50k miles on a clutch is fuckin pathetic. If you can't get more than that, you need to sell the damn thing and get an automatic, cause that's just money being pissed away. Toyota makes a good stock clutch for stock applications, and mildly larger tires. It'll handle bigger tires and all that, just be more prone to failure. Be a lil bit easier on that truck man! I can't really say shit though, I went thru 3 clutches in 2 yrs in HS, and that was MAYBE 12k miles worth of driving. Thanx to my stupid ass mud ridin' all the damn time, hahaha!

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have 150,000 on my stock clutch and it is still doing fine. That is assuming the PO never replaced it, if they had it was before 106,000. But I think it is the stock one because he didn't say anything about it, and nothing on the engine looks like it has ever been taken apart other than what I have done myself.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I've got 83k on mine and it doesn't slip or show any signs of giving out soon. it does creek sometimes when i push it in but other than that it's cool.

·
The Satanic Panic
609 Posts
another note i do construction work, haul/ carry lots of steel, other crap, in effect does play a role

·
Registered
553 Posts
Yeah towing definatly puts a hurtin' on your clutch! I've got 87k and it's not showin' any signs of gettin' ready to crap out on me yet!

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
clutch

tanKoma said:
another note i do construction work, haul/ carry lots of steel, other crap, in effect does play a role

well, now that would explain a lot, lol!

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
wslytoy said:
A good clutch should last at least 100-125k miles, if not more. If you're already due for a new 1, you might wanna re-think the way you drive it and start drivin it more like an old man, lol! Peace, Wes
Yea right an 18 year old drive like an old man, I.E. my dad, NEVER!!!!! lol. It doesnt slip. Main problem is somedays it doesnt want to go in or come out of gear. Occurs more when it sits for a day or two. Should I get the tranny fluid changed?? or get the Clutch adjusted??

In summer I use my truck to pull hay wagons and I haul wood in it almost all year around and that definately puts a hurting on the clutch. My truck was a company leased truck before I bought it, I dunno if that has anything to do with it or not and having Thornbirds definately doesnt help my clutch either.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I bought my '97 2.7 5 speed Xtracab last summer w/ 116k miles. It now has 122k miles and the clutch is great, very strong. I don't know if the PO had changed it, but it doesn't look like it.

On a side note, I got my tranny oil changed a few months ago (they said it was really dirty) and ever since then 2nd gear is hard to shift into when it's cold (like 40 degrees and below), a mile or two later and it shifts just fine. Anyone know what the problem could be? Was the old oil too viscous (thin)? Did they possibly fill it with too heavy an oil?

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hartzpad said:
I bought my '97 2.7 5 speed Xtracab last summer w/ 116k miles. It now has 122k miles and the clutch is great, very strong. I don't know if the PO had changed it, but it doesn't look like it.

On a side note, I got my tranny oil changed a few months ago (they said it was really dirty) and ever since then 2nd gear is hard to shift into when it's cold (like 40 degrees and below), a mile or two later and it shifts just fine. Anyone know what the problem could be? Was the old oil too viscous (thin)? Did they possibly fill it with too heavy an oil?
thats the same problem I have, into and out of 2nd gear when its cold or my truck has been sitting. 1st gear is hard to get into sometimes too but not as bad as 2nd. Should I get my oil changed?

·
Registered
72 Posts
well, I would say to get it changed, but don't. That's when my problems started. I have no idea. It does feel like the clutch needs to be adjusted when it's cold, and then it's fine.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
clutch

StemsCornfedTaco said:
Yea right an 18 year old drive like an old man, I.E. my dad, NEVER!!!!! lol. It doesnt slip. Main problem is somedays it doesnt want to go in or come out of gear. Occurs more when it sits for a day or two. Should I get the tranny fluid changed?? or get the Clutch adjusted??

In summer I use my truck to pull hay wagons and I haul wood in it almost all year around and that definately puts a hurting on the clutch. My truck was a company leased truck before I bought it, I dunno if that has anything to do with it or not and having Thornbirds definately doesnt help my clutch either.
The 1st thing I would do is change the fluid to Redline MT-90. If that doesn't fix things, the next best thing would be replace the clutch master and slave cylinders. If that doesn't work, then you might wanna look into replacing the clutch. Peace, Wes

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
clutch

hartzpad said:

Do you know what kinda gear oil they used? For me, the best thing I coulda done is was put some Redline MT-90 in my trans.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts