TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2000 tacoma 3.4 last year. It currently has 152k on it. The timing belt was replaced at 99k along with the clutch and water pump. I had all the fluids replace and running amsoil. I replaced all plugs and wires, had injectors cleaned. K&N air filter. Lately (past few months and getting worse) I have been hearing a knocking when accelerating, under load, and at low rpms. Usually doesn't happen in first gear and it doesn't happen when the engine is cold. If I let off the gas and then accelerate again, it sometimes goes away. I am running 87 after mech told me not to run premium. Not getting any check engine or loss of power. Sometimes I think I can feel a little hesitation when accelerating at high rpms.

·
Registered
11,173 Posts
A knock is also sometimes referred to as "ping". It is a result of a lean engine, Sounds like you have a sensor going out on you. could be a variety of sensors so it would be best to have it hooked up to a diagonistic machine for the root cause.

If you are lucky a loose vacum line could be the culprit, althoug more unlikely.

When your truck is cool as with the "first start of the day" your ECU tells your motor to rev higher to get the motor warmed up, This is why you do not experience it when the motor/truck has been sitting for any long period of time.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I'm experiencing something similiar. It's like a rattling sound that you can only hear when it Idles but when I give it gas it goes away. Coming from the block area. 99 Tacoma with 110k on it. All maintence done.

·
Registered
212 Posts
x4 on cleaning the MAF

Had spark-knock real bad with my 2000 3.4 4Runner. Couldn't figure it out for the life of me. No codes, nothing really bad happening - just bad spark-knock on medium acceleration, lost power(a little) and some hesitation.

I pulled the MAF out and cleaned it with electrical contact cleaner. You could see the crap on the little coil. Replaced the fuel filter(77k on the original). That is one thing most people don't think about. The gas I poured out of the old filter was nasty! :eek: The plugs were done 6 months ago so they were good. I also added a gas treatment and a new air filter. After cleaning the MAF and the new fuel filter, it was like a new motor. The other things were just icing on the cake. It worked great because I got ~21mpg coming back from vacation driving 78~82 mph. If I keep it under 75, I get a hair under 23mpg.

Cleaning the MAF is one thing that needs to be done probably everytime the plugs get changed. My :2cents:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts