TTORA Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple months ago my check engine light came on. I brought it in and scanned the code and it came up with a misfire on #1 cylinder. I was due for a tune up so I replaced plugs, wires, and fuel filter. I had low compression in #1 cylinder after all of that and the mechanic said there was quite a bit of carbon build up in the cylinder so he did a carbon flush on the cylinder. After that the compression came back up to normal. Everything was fine for about 2 weeks, then check engine light came back, scanned the code and came back with misfire on #1 cylinder again. The engine has steadily gotten worse, rough idleling, loss of power, etc. Any advice on what to do next would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the help.

· Registered
147 Posts
probably a bad injector, if he "flushed" the cylinder (which i've never heard of doing....:confused:) that could have cleaned the injector to the point that it was readin ok for awhile.

You could try replacing the injector or it could even be a bad coil pack but don't do anything "major" until you check these two things. Who knows what the mechanic might advise but these could very easily be likely culprits.

· Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
22,486 Posts
Misfire usually means your losing fuel, air or spark. Start with the basics and verify all that is good. Next would be to do a compression check again and see where you are at. If its pretty low, its time to do a wet compression check and a leak down test. That should narrow down the problem to rings, valves, head gasket, etc.

· Registered
85 Posts
A couple months ago my check engine light came on. I brought it in and scanned the code and it came up with a misfire on #1 cylinder. I was due for a tune up so I replaced plugs, wires, and fuel filter. I had low compression in #1 cylinder after all of that and the mechanic said there was quite a bit of carbon build up in the cylinder so he did a carbon flush on the cylinder. After that the compression came back up to normal. Everything was fine for about 2 weeks, then check engine light came back, scanned the code and came back with misfire on #1 cylinder again. The engine has steadily gotten worse, rough idleling, loss of power, etc. Any advice on what to do next would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the help.
These engines had some valve issues...have the compression checked.for some reason it's always the #1 cylinder that goes first.The valve actuallly sinks in the seat and then hangs open slightly and gets burnt.

· Registered
1,379 Posts
Misfire usually means your losing fuel, air or spark. Start with the basics and verify all that is good. Next would be to do a compression check again and see where you are at. If its pretty low, its time to do a wet compression check and a leak down test. That should narrow down the problem to rings, valves, head gasket, etc.
x2

and excessive carbon buildup will actually cause a higher compression ratio ;)

· Registered
14 Posts
Holy toledo! I might actually be able to help someone else for a change!
Very easy, swap your coils between #1 and #2. I had the same problem after a tuneup. Turns out a coil went bad while changing spark plugs, ended up leaving me stranded. A freind came over with his diagnostics doodad from work, it showed a misfire on cylinder#?A, we swapped the coils and the misfire swapped cylinders with it, I replaced the coil the next day and have been running fine ever since.
Good luck and let me know how it turns out.
...Now if I could just figure out the variable horsepower and MPG problem...

· Registered
14 Posts
Sccotn,
You having the same problem?
I've been beating my head against the wall... well actually I did and gave up.

· Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
22,486 Posts
just took my toyota tacoma 2013 for code P0303 cylinder #3 is leaking coolant? anyway cost of labor $4,750 anybody has that happens before. toyoat dealer fix
Leaking coolant is typically a head gasket failure. That is really expensive if its only a head gasket. Maybe also a new head?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts